Snapper SR1028 Engine EXTREMELY hard to pull start

Craftsman Garage

Threads
I got a Snapper SR1028 a few days ago and yesterday I cleaned the carburetor because it had some crud in the bowl. I reassembled it and there was a lot of gas going to the carburetor now, which was a good sign because there was no gas going to the carb yesterday. I pull-started it a few times with no luck and nothing happened and then the engine was EXTREMELY hard to pull start. I took out the sparkplug and nothing happened. What are your suggestions to do? I have tried all that I know which is very little.
EDIT: fixed

Last edited:

mechanic mark

Lawn Pro
Threads
  • / Snapper SR1028 Engine EXTREMELY hard to pull start
You need to adjust valves on engine. Post Model xxxxxx, Type xxxx, Trim xx, & Code xxxxxxx from engine, thanks, Mark

SeniorCitizen

Lawn Addict
Threads
Remove the spark plug and pull the rope . Note if any liquid comes from the cylinder

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
Hydra-lock?

Tbone0106

Threads
If you removed the spark plug and the starter still pulls "EXTREMELY hard," your problem may be outside the engine. Make sure the drive clutch is properly disengaged. Check underneath to see that belts are on their pulleys and not tangled, broken or frayed, and that the drive pulley is free of any debris. (I can tell you from experience that a kitchen garbage bag will stall a 10 hp Briggs when it's wrapped around the lower crankshaft just right.) Make sure the mower deck drive is disengaged.