Snapper S200x smoking

Capt_Bill

Forum Newbie
Threads
Brand new to this forum.

I have a Snapper S200x with 700+ hours on it. On Tuesday evening, started right up and mowed for about 2 hrs with no issues. Last night went to mow and nothing. Just a high pitch hum and a click when i tried to start it. Tried it again this evening and same thing, high pitch hum and a click. This time i noticed smoke coming from the bottom of the mower. Upon further investigation, i noticed the negative cable at the bottom of the motor was smoking and the insulation is burnt. The neg cable on the battery side is fine.

Looks like a pain to change due to not much room. But first, i need to investigate what caused so much heat in the first place. Or should i just change out the cable and try again?

Thank you in advance!

ILENGINE

Lawn Royalty
Threads
My first question would be can you turn the flywheel by hand. That might give a clue to the failure to crank. If it won't turn then remove the spark plug and try again. Could be a case of gas has leaked from the carb, and hydrolocked the engine

Capt_Bill

Forum Newbie
Threads
My first question would be can you turn the flywheel by hand. That might give a clue to the failure to crank. If it won't turn then remove the spark plug and try again. Could be a case of gas has leaked from the carb, and hydrolocked the engine
Thank you! Yes I can turn the flywheel in both directions by hand.

ILENGINE

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Heat would mean resistance. Make sure the wire connection at the motor is tight. Sometimes doesn't take much to really cause issues.

Tiger Small Engine

Threads
Brand new to this forum.

I have a Snapper S200x with 700+ hours on it. On Tuesday evening, started right up and mowed for about 2 hrs with no issues. Last night went to mow and nothing. Just a high pitch hum and a click when i tried to start it. Tried it again this evening and same thing, high pitch hum and a click. This time i noticed smoke coming from the bottom of the mower. Upon further investigation, i noticed the negative cable at the bottom of the motor was smoking and the insulation is burnt. The neg cable on the battery side is fine.

Looks like a pain to change due to not much room. But first, i need to investigate what caused so much heat in the first place. Or should i just change out the cable and try again?

Thank you in advance!
Look at the condition of negative wire and the terminals. Are the connections tight and clean? The high pitched hum is the starter slowly being killed by too much resistance and possible voltage drop. Replace with the correct gauge wire after cleaning positive and negative terminals to battery, solenoid, starter, etc.