Export thread

Snapper P21550 drive belt

A

atomic67

I have a 5.5 hp kawasaki on my '94 P21550. i replaced the drive belt with a Stens brand (3/8 x 25 3/4). it was too big so I ordered another belt measuring 3/8 x 25.5. These were both supposedly oem replacements for the part number 1-2353 given in the owner's manual. I don't have a tensioner pulley and I wonder if the second belt will be too big as well. i was watching a video on youtube and the gentlemen was replacing his drive belt on his snapper using a Rotary brand part # 12-11677. This belt measures 3/8 x 24 1/2. He didn't have a tensioner pulley and his belt went on tight. I wish I would have kept the original belt for comparison. Any advice would help.

S

slomo

Belts are amazing. You can buy 6 of the SAME size from the same manufacturer. None will be the "exact" same size. I know this because our air handlers at work take multiple belts per unit.

I would get the OEM belt.

OR in Kevlar if you can find one. If you have the proper W and L, do a Kevlar belt search. The Kevlar belts last a lot longer.

Lastly take notice of your pulleys. A new belt shouldn't run down INTO the pulley V. Belt should be riding just out of the top of the V. Make sure yours doesn't bottom out either.

1.jpg

slomo

S

slomo

I have a 5.5 hp kawasaki on my '94 P21550. i replaced the drive belt with a Stens brand (3/8 x 25 3/4). it was too big so I ordered another belt measuring 3/8 x 25.5. These were both supposedly oem replacements for the part number 1-2353 given in the owner's manual. I don't have a tensioner pulley and I wonder if the second belt will be too big as well. i was watching a video on youtube and the gentlemen was replacing his drive belt on his snapper using a Rotary brand part # 12-11677. This belt measures 3/8 x 24 1/2. He didn't have a tensioner pulley and his belt went on tight. I wish I would have kept the original belt for comparison. Any advice would help.
Is this yours? Rear discharge Snapper? I've never seen one. Sure looks an aweful lot like the much later year Johnny Deere decks.

1.png

slomo

A

atomic67

no this looks like a newer model than mine. I have a self propelled, steel deck model from the mid 90's with the kawasaki Fc150v engine. But I do like the kawasaki engines and you could find them on older john deere push mowers

S

slomo

So your Snapper number must be a typo. Can you verify it please?

slomo

A

atomic67

So your Snapper number must be a typo. Can you verify it please?

slomo
my tag on the back of the mower list it as a P21550. technically it is a P21550KW. self propelled 21" 5.5 hp "0" series designation. it is a side discharge mower, but i use the mulch cover.

S

slomo

Is it the belt off the crank or the one up top around the drive system? Engine belt or poly V belt?

slomo

A

atomic67

its the engine belt. someone suggested putting a stretch belt on it since there is no idler/tensioner pulley

S

slomo

What the heck is a stretch belt? Never heard of. Not supposed to stretch V belts.

Still don't know what mower you have. This shows an engine belt idler pulley.

1.png

A

atomic67

The idler pulley must have been removed and then a smaller belt was used to compensate. I found a idler assembly on Ebay for about $30 which included the arm, spring, pulley, spacer, etc., but the set up I have worked fine without the idler pulley. I don't think its a safety concern. As for the stretch belt the part number 7046784YP. I had never heard of them until yesterday, but it seems like to have special tools just to stretch them into place.

S

slomo

Wondering if the pulley failed. Someone removed it and put the exact size belt on like you said....

The above diagram is for a commercial Snapper. Are you are 100% confident you have a P21550KW.

Hold on. I have a series 0 or 4 maybe with the Kawi FC150V engine with oil filter. Is this yours too? If so, mine has the idler pulley off the engine I'm pretty sure. I can verify when I get home.

slomo