Repairs Snapper Comet HV need rear gear on axle

beerowe

Forum Newbie
Threads
hopefully I can explain this properly...

my Snapper Comet HV was sort of bucking especially during turns.

we pulled off the rear wheels disconnected & slid the axle over towards the left

there are three small gears,one is mounted to the axle itself.Another above and one below.These are to the right of the larger gears with the chain.

the problem is the middle small gear mounted to the axle is worn down and is slipping causing the stuttering/bucking.

the mower itself is in good shape works/runs well.We cannot find this middle gear.Would hate to give up on this mower for a seemingly small part.

any suggestions?

I will have to get the model/serial numbers,as the mower is not here with me.107.jpg

Mow Joe

Threads
I can't really follow your description, but I know Snapper differentials quite well, having rebuilt over a hundred of them. There are 8 gears in there, the bull gear, smaller one on the sprocket that turns the bull gear, 4 small pinions, and the 2 axle gears. In nearly all cases like you describe, the axle gears are stripped. They are part of the axle. You will need a long and short axle kit. You may need other parts when you get it out and cleaned up, but those axle gears are the cause of your problem.

beerowe

Forum Newbie
Threads
I can't really follow your description, but I know Snapper differentials quite well, having rebuilt over a hundred of them. There are 8 gears in there, the bull gear, smaller one on the sprocket that turns the bull gear, 4 small pinions, and the 2 axle gears. In nearly all cases like you describe, the axle gears are stripped. They are part of the axle. You will need a long and short axle kit. You may need other parts when you get it out and cleaned up, but those axle gears are the cause of your problem.

Awesome Mow Joe!
Where might these kits be available?

All the other gears seem to be ok,one that is on the axle(that I saw) is definitely stripped.

Should I take pictures or anything? Obviously I will get the numbers off the machine to match up.

Brian

cashman

Threads
What usually causes those gears to wear is endplay on the axels. If you can rock the trans side to side and the trans moves more than 1/4" side to side between the rear wheels, you need put in enough shims on the inner left side between the thrust washer and the left axel bushing under the boot. I've seen brand new mowers from the factory that had excessive endplay on the axels. Every time the axels move around when mowing is causing those axels gears to wear. The axel shims used to be available in a kit.