Snapper 21" white handlebar super mower

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
Found the wobble issue. Someone used the wrong blade adapter. This adapter is too short. It leaves the blade half way up inside the vertical part of the deck if not a little more than half. You have the rounded lip. Then the deck goes up vertical. They tried to space the adapter down with 6 lock washers that are not even close to the 7/8" crank size. Even with that mess of washers, the adapter was too short. Adapter didn't hold the adapter flush to the crank. I could see a wobble with the spark plug out while the wife pulled the rope. Good news is the crank looks straight while pulling the rope. Got to love these old Briggs engines. They left out the woodruff key in the adapter as well. You could see where the adapter was slightly spinning on the bottom of the crank. Blade was way up inside the deck. Funny it still cut ok.

My other three mowers, the blade is a half inch or slightly less till it hits the rolled deck lip. You can barely run your pinky finger with your pinky nail touching the blade and the pad of your finger on the deck lip. Now the search is on for the proper blade adapter.

slomo

Last edited:

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
shows a weird set up for blade, looks as though it has a blade clutch. I used the model you gave in your first post, serial number may make a difference.

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
Thanks for being up late. Guess it came with the blade brake. Has the three mounting studs for it under the deck. Must have failed several decades ago. Someone must of found this incorrect adapter and slapped it on.

What I did was look at a series 0 mower. This one is a series 4, 21404P. Series 0 has this part 7012927YP. What do you think of this one? Searching on ebay, found an aftermarket adapter with measurements of 1 and 13/16" tall. Does that sound right? Crank is 7/8" in diameter.

slomo

Last edited:

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
Also in that series 0 parts schematic, that showed 2 adapters. One was short and the other was longer. The longer one I posted the part number above.

slomo

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
Ebay adapter is a corrected 1 and 13/16" tall. Does that sound right Scrubcadet10? I can measure the length of my others to verify this one.

slomo

Last edited:

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
I measured my adapter at 1 and 13/16" tall. It's just like my other three mowers. This engine had a blade brake at one time with a rough 3/4" shorter crankshaft. I put a 7/8" flat washer and a 1/2" tall 7/8" nut inside the adapter. Both fit snug inside the adapter. I'm trying to space the adapter lower so the blade runs closer to the deck lip. After snugging the blade bolt, I can insert another 1/2" tall nut between the blade and deck lip. This is pretty close to the other mowers. Looks like it shouldn't wobble and vibe the handlebar. I need a woodruff key for the adapter. Then I will torque the blade nut to 40 ft lbs and try it out.

Don't really like stacking nuts and washers inside the adapter. Can't find a longer blade adapter to fit this crank proper. Guess I will see what happens?

slomo

Belvedere

Forum Newbie
Threads
Got an old Snapper 21404P that's probably mid 1980's era. Still cuts and runs perfect. Ok nothing new there. You Snapper guys know the drill.

Issue is the mower has a nasty vibe to it. Has a new OEM Oregon 99-121 Super Mulching blade and the Extreme Ultra carb clean. Fresh oil, both air filters are new and plug cleaned. Deck is clean and again blade is new. Thinking previous owners must have hit something in the yard? Unless the blade is somehow a dud? Crankshaft is the next thing. I put anti-seize on the blade bolt and torqued to 40 ft lbs.

Engine is the stellar Briggs MAX Series (prior to Quantum) 4hp 190cc Super Engine. The oil stays crystal clear/clean. Amazing from a 35 plus year old engine. Doesn't use any oil either.

The vibe is there from idle to max revs. Thinking bent crank? What do you guys think? Could swap in another new Oregon blade to rule that out. What is the best way to check for a bent crankshaft?

slomo
Remove the blade then start it. At least eliminate blade possibility