Export thread

Snap Ring Help!

M

mikeeee372

I cannot remove the pulley because there is some sort of snap ring I think holding it on the shaft. See picture. Any help very much appreciated!
2000 Dixie Chopper xw2500 trans pulley.

Attachments

M

mikeeee372

I cannot remove the pulley because there is some sort of snap ring I think holding it on the shaft. See picture. Any help very much appreciated!
2000 Dixie Chopper xw2500 trans pulley.
Or is it held on a different way?

Hammermechanicman

Hammermechanicman

No snap ring. Just rusted and stuck. An acetylene torch is your friend.

M

mikeeee372

Ok I’ll heat up the pulley and see what happens. Thanks for the help! Much appreciated! It has been on there for almost 25 years. So stuck certainly sounds reasonable. I checked for an Allen head scr

M

mikeeee372

Allen head screw on top of neck on pulley and there is not one

Scrubcadet10

Scrubcadet10

heat and quench is the best method, heat it up cherry red and quench it with water.. it'll turn any oxidation/rust to powder

M

mikeeee372

So no luck so far. Anybody got any other suggestions? I may not have heated it up enough. I’m going to repeat the process several times tomorrow and see what happens. Sprayed it with pb blaster going to let that soak in overnight. Thanks for any additional advice.

StarTech

StarTech

Can't be using a propane torch; unless, it is boosted by O2. What you really need is an ACE/OX torch to produce heat quickly the enlarge the pulley before enlarging the shaft.

M

mikeeee372

Can't be using a propane torch; unless, it is boosted by O2. What you really need is an ACE/OX torch to produce heat quickly the enlarge the pulley before enlarging the shaft.
You are right! Don’t have ace/ox torch so I elected to cut it off. Found a new pulley and ordered it. Will let u know how it goes. Thanks for the info.

O

Ocean909

A little late, but if its not super rusted you can try penetrating oil and an air hammer. Sometimes the vibration will knock it loose.

M

mikeeee372

You are right! Don’t have ace/ox torch so I elected to cut it off. Found a new pulleyand ordered it. Will keep posted on progress. Thanks for all the info!