Export thread

Smoking Mower

JD110fan

JD110fan

I have a mid-90's Craftsman LT1000 with a Briggs 15.5hp I/C Platinum OHV engine that is smoking really bad going up hills. This seemed really odd to me since the combustion chamber is on the front of the tractor so it would seem like the oil would drain backwards and not cause a problem. The crankcase has the correct amount of oil in it, and has been so for the whole time I've had it (1.5 yrs). The tractor smoked a small bit going up hills before but now it smokes so bad I can't hardly breathe. And it has started smoking lightly on the level. The engine has not had a ton of use, it sat in weeds for about 10 years before I picked it up. I also have put chrome tipped dual rear exit exhaust on it but I can't see how that could affect it. Could it be an issue with the oil retention ring? If you know the issue it'd be great if you could tell me! Pictures below.

Attachments

Scrubcadet10

Scrubcadet10

very interesting exhaust system! It is blue-ish oil smoke, correct?
I have a gut feeling of a blown head gasket....after the mower has ran for a little while and gotten warm, shut it off and pull out the oil dipstick, if you have whisps of smoke coming out of it, that's and indicator of a blown head gasket.
Also post the engine model numbers... should be stamped on the red metal blower housing.

JD110fan

JD110fan

thank you very much, Scrubcadet10! I have indeed seen wisps of smoke when taking the dipstick out after it is warm. Thanks for your response, I will be looking into it today!

JD110fan

JD110fan

Oh, yes it is bluish oil smoke.

JD110fan

JD110fan

The head gasket is bad! Thanks for the advice, Scrubcadet10! I had no idea a head gasket could cause such an issue.