Engine smokes uphill

garykaszas

Forum Newbie
Threads
I just took my craftsman mower out of winter storage and noticed blue smoke from muffler when going uphill. It didn't do this last season. I bought it new last spring and used it one season. I changed the oil and filter, but no change. Smokes lots on minor uphill slope and stops when level. 21 HP Briggs. Help

Mudface777

Threads
Well blue smoke means you are burning oil. Bad rings and oil getting into combustion chamber could be a possibility. However I would first drain your oil and put fresh oil (I am guessing it is SAE 30) in it. Make sure it is a the proper level. To much may be your issue. If the problem is still there I would take off your carburetor and clean it completely, and lightly oil your gaskets. If it still has an issue it may be a bigger issue. Could you post the model number so I can help further?

garykaszas

Forum Newbie
Threads
As it turns out the warranty had not yet run out. I called sears and they sent out a mechanic. Diagnosed a blown head gasket caused by a warped head. He fixed it in my dooryard! Mechanic reported this is common on the Briggs.