Small Tillers Like the Mantis

RockHound

Threads
Does anyone have a small tiller like the Mantis? I was considering getting one just to work our flower beds over. I've never met anyone who had one and I really just wanted to know if they really work or are they a waste of money?

grnspot110

Threads
I've got one! Don't remember off-hand what brand it is, but it has a Tecumseh engine. I like the tiller, just not the Tecumseh, hard starting little ******! My vegetable garden is in beds, so when a crop is finished, I can carry the little tiller in, work the small area, & carry it out easily. ~~ grnspot110

em14

Threads
I have a Mantis and it is one of the better tools I own. Just remember ... you have a small tool and it can do a super job and it does, but don't try to do large areas. Also, thick grass in the area you are working will wrap around the tines and you will find you are stopping often to clear them. It should work absolutely great in a flower bed or in a family size veggie garden. I have no problems starting mine! It runs good BTW I have owned this one about 12 years.
Leo

rmancini

Threads
I've owned a Mantis for about 8 years now - fantastic little tool. I especially like the de-thatching tines for moss removal.
Rich

ae_ted

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have a Stil with the wheel option and my wife loves it. Got it out other day after it had set for 4 yrs and even with that old gas it in, it started after a small bit of persusasion. Not as good as my 32yr old Husky chainsaw that Always works but it was still impressive that it ran with that old gas. IT tills great.

stuckinnj

Threads
I echo the others. My Mantis is about 15 years old. Only maintenance has been done - no actual repairs. Just remember that w/any of these small tillers, you have to pull backwards to get them to 'dig in'. This can be a bit of a workout. Having said that, once the surface soil has been broken, this is one fantastic machine. And if you're just turning the soil before and after each planting season, you will find the workout almost effortless.

Suggestion - always run the machine out of fuel prior to storing. It will make the next start up so much easier.

5 Stars - highly recommended.

Last edited:

dcgrazier

Threads
I bought a Mantis from a person on Craig's list. It needed minor carb work and now it runs great. I saved a lot of money versus a new one. This is an awesome machine. It works great in the raised garden beds, and flower garden grounds. The ground became so loose, that my wife did not need a trowel to dig holes for the plants. She literally dug the holes by hand. The Mantis now does the weeding in short order. We are very pleased with this piece of equipment.