Export thread

Small backfire / popping from exhaust

dawgn86

dawgn86

Good afternoon,

Mower: 2014 Craftsman T3000 / Model 917-203900 with 440 hours. Engine is a 22 HP Briggs platinum / Model 44R677 Type 0021 G1 ( info from the valve cover).

This mower sat for 5-6 years when the in laws gave it to me. I took of the carb and cleaned / fresh gas / new plugs / drained old fuel / replaced fuel and air filter and got the mower running pretty good. It now has a small backfire / popping sound about every ten seconds that sounds like it is more from the exhaust side.

What do you folks think? Valves need adjusting?

Thanks

If it did NOT have that backfire when in-laws had it. Valves didn't need adjusted from just sitting. IMO.

Tiger Small Engine

Tiger Small Engine

Good afternoon,

Mower: 2014 Craftsman T3000 / Model 917-203900 with 440 hours. Engine is a 22 HP Briggs platinum / Model 44R677 Type 0021 G1 ( info from the valve cover).

This mower sat for 5-6 years when the in laws gave it to me. I took of the carb and cleaned / fresh gas / new plugs / drained old fuel / replaced fuel and air filter and got the mower running pretty good. It now has a small backfire / popping sound about every ten seconds that sounds like it is more from the exhaust side.

What do you folks think? Valves need adjusting?

Thanks
Does it have a double barrel Nikki carburetor on it? I think the carburetor needs to be cleaned again. These specific carburetors are known to make popping and small backfires when not totally clean.

dawgn86

dawgn86

Tiger,

it does and I will clean it again next chance I can...

Thanks