Slow to Direction Change

dbass

Forum Newbie
Threads
New to Zero Turn so I'm not sure what is normal or not... just got my Gravely ZT HD 48" last week. First move yesterday. When going forward and changing one wheel to reverse there was a pause before the wheel started moving. I tried several time and sean the same thing repeated. Is it normal?

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads
New to Zero Turn so I'm not sure what is normal or not... just got my Gravely ZT HD 48" last week. First move yesterday. When going forward and changing one wheel to reverse there was a pause before the wheel started moving. I tried several time and sean the same thing repeated. Is it normal?

It doesn't sound normal to me, when you move the lap bar the wheel should move with out a pause. Have you check the fluid level in the transmission oil expansion reservoir.

dbass

Forum Newbie
Threads
It doesn't sound normal to me, when you move the lap bar the wheel should move with out a pause. Have you check the fluid level in the transmission oil expansion reservoir.

Level is good, mover is new and was just checked out pre-delivery is why I wasn't sure if it was normal.

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads
Level is good, mover is new and was just checked out pre-delivery is why I wasn't sure if it was normal.

If the mower is new I Think I mite have them check thing again, it sure wouldn't hurt anything and I know it would make me feel better if they said it was ok. To me it sounds like it may need some fine tuning. Let me ask is this pause in both wheels or just one?

dbass

Forum Newbie
Threads
If the mower is new I Think I mite have them check thing again, it sure wouldn't hurt anything and I know it would make me feel better if they said it was ok. To me it sounds like it may need some fine tuning. Let me ask is this pause in both wheels or just one?

I only felt it in the right two or three times at the end of my mow... Took it out drove it today and didn't feel it at all either side. One other thing is the oil in the hydro tank is much darker then it was when I first got it.

djdicetn

Lawn Addict
Threads
I only felt it in the right two or three times at the end of my mow... Took it out drove it today and didn't feel it at all either side. One other thing is the oil in the hydro tank is much darker then it was when I first got it.

Gravely uses 20w50 motor oil in their trannies, so it would not be normal for it to be any darker than "new motor oil" with only a few uses. I've got about 33 hours on my Gravely and I haven't noticed any delays in direction changing or discoloration of the tranny oil. I would agree that you should get the dealer to check it out and tell them what it's been doing. That's what warranties are for.

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads

The oil in the reservoir will turn dark, (CHECK IT EVERY 25HRS)just make sure you keep with like quarter inch of oil in it at all times and if you have to add do it when it's cold. The Cub Cadets were running a 15w40 in the drives when I purchased my Z-Force. You can go to the CC site and look at the spec's for your mower and it will tell you for sure what should be used.

djdicetn

Lawn Addict
Threads
The oil in the reservoir will turn dark, (CHECK IT EVERY 25HRS)just make sure you keep with like quarter inch of oil in it at all times and if you have to add do it when it's cold. The Cub Cadets were running a 15w40 in the drives when I purchased my Z-Force. You can go to the CC site and look at the spec's for your mower and it will tell you for sure what should be used.

dbass,
I'll have to look at the oil in my reservoir again, compared to some 20w50 in a glass measuring cup, as it may indeed have gotten a little "darker". I haven't taken the lid off and examined it just checked the level and the marking where it should be. I think you will find your ZT HD manual, like for my Pro Turn 152, rcommending 20w50 oil if you need to top up your reservoir.

dbass

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks everyone... still haven't had the problem again oil is about new motor oil color, didn't look that dark to me when I first got the mower but I might have been wrong. I'll keep you posted if it does anything strange again. First service is in 10-hours I have 3 or 4 on it now. Will wait for first service unless it does it again.

djdicetn

Lawn Addict
Threads
Thanks everyone... still haven't had the problem again oil is about new motor oil color, didn't look that dark to me when I first got the mower but I might have been wrong. I'll keep you posted if it does anything strange again. First service is in 10-hours I have 3 or 4 on it now. Will wait for first service unless it does it again.

May have just been an initial break-in air pocket in that trannie from the dealer prep(where they should have performed a purge on the tranny system). Definitely keep an eye on the level in the reservoir on that side and make sure there's not a leak(you can also look around the filter for evidence of a leak). If it ain't broke....don't try to fix it:0)