Sloping lawn help

Partsman41953

Threads
Hi all,

I need help deciding on a new lawn mower. My John Deere 14ST finally died and I am now trying to find a decent lawn mower that is reasonably priced. My front yard has around a 40 degree incline so I am looking for a lawn mower that is self propelled and will get up the slope without me having to push it up the slope. I was looking online and saw a bunch of high wheel mowers but nothing high wheel that is RWD.

Please give me your suggestions on what would be best for me at this time.

Thanks.

Glenn

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads
Hi all,

I need help deciding on a new lawn mower. My John Deere 14ST finally died and I am now trying to find a decent lawn mower that is reasonably priced. My front yard has around a 40 degree incline so I am looking for a lawn mower that is self propelled and will get up the slope without me having to push it up the slope. I was looking online and saw a bunch of high wheel mowers but nothing high wheel that is RWD.

Please give me your suggestions on what would be best for me at this time.

Thanks.

Glenn

Problem is there's nothing out there reasonable anymore. :smile: Finding a High wheel with RWD mite be a trick. Have you looked at any of the Honda mowers? My only suggestion would be to make sure you buy a mower with the 190cc motor. How much lawn do you have to mow?

Partsman41953

Threads
My front lawn is between 1/4 to 1/2 an acre. My old John Deere was decent for going back and forth but there are times when you have to go up and down the lawn which is brutal. I have some lawn on one side of my house so I have no choice but to go up the incline. I was looking for a lawn mower that would go up the incline easier and I figured that a high wheel lawn mower would be better. The terrain is also not even as I do have a couple of trees in the yard with their roots coming up, another reason for the high wheel.

I read some things online that the John Deere is more prone to breaking down and I do have to admit that even though I have this mower for a long time it was a bear to start most of the time. I really am just looking for a mower that will start easy, mulch decent as especially this time of the year we have a lot of leaves in the yard, and is not real difficult to push. I do not mind getting some exercise by mowing the yard but during the heat of the summer, I guess we all know, mowing the grass is not the #1 thing on our list of things to do.

Thanks again for all your help.

Glenn

Pete.S

Threads
IMHO,what you really need is a couple of gallons of Ground Clear, plastic sheeting and several cubic yards of decorative mulch. The other alternative is to terrace the slope to either flat or slight sloped segments. A 40 degree slope is dangerous and can lead to serious erosion in rainy conditions. I really think that you need to work on the hillside to make it more user friendly.