Simplicity Regent or John Deere S240?

mucksiegooma

Threads
I’m looking for a new lawn tractor to replace my 19 year old John Deere LT 150. I am looking at the Simplicity Regent with either the 38” or 42” deck, and the John Deere S240 with the 42” deck. Simplicity has Briggs engine and JD has a Kawasaki. Both are twin cylinders. Which is the better machine for reliability and longevity. I take super care of my machines and want to go with the one that will be most trouble free and that performs the best. Your opinions would be greatly appreciated.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Even though I’d normally recommend anything in the Simplicity line, in this case I like the JD with the Kawasaki engine better.

bkeller500

Threads
2-good choices to pick from and there are others out there as well. I have owned several Simplicities and John Deers. I think Simplicity offers a better deck overall. Depending on the model mower, I think a Simplicity deck is easier to level, easier to remove and reinstall. They also provide the famous rear deck roller that yields a nicer finished cut and striping if the deck is set properly. And the rear deck roller tends to prevent deck tipping, if that is important to you. John Deere builds a stronger tractor in my opinion, but from my experience their decks are more difficult to remove and reinstall and to level. Both of the models you are looking at are entry level units so there are not many features on the tractors to get excited about. Moving up to the Broadmoor or a JD 300 series will get you more durability and more features but it still comes down to the deck. Which deck is going to give you the best finished look? Can you test drive both units? If so, can you also test drive a Broadmoor and a X300? The differences in the mid-range units may be worth it and give you more features and comfort. Your last mower LT-150 lasted you almost 20 years. That's a long time. You will likely own the next mower just as long if it is the right mower for your situation. For $10 more per month over 20-years you would have $2,400 towards a mid-range unit. Would that $2400 put you in a model that would serve you better, and be more comfortable? There is nothing worse than owning a mower you regret purchasing. With all of that above just being my opinion, you have selected 2- good options and will probably be happy with either one. Good luck narrowing your selection.

mucksiegooma

Threads
2-good choices to pick from and there are others out there as well. I have owned several Simplicities and John Deers. I think Simplicity offers a better deck overall. Depending on the model mower, I think a Simplicity deck is easier to level, easier to remove and reinstall. They also provide the famous rear deck roller that yields a nicer finished cut and striping if the deck is set properly. And the rear deck roller tends to prevent deck tipping, if that is important to you. John Deere builds a stronger tractor in my opinion, but from my experience their decks are more difficult to remove and reinstall and to level. Both of the models you are looking at are entry level units so there are not many features on the tractors to get excited about. Moving up to the Broadmoor or a JD 300 series will get you more durability and more features but it still comes down to the deck. Which deck is going to give you the best finished look? Can you test drive both units? If so, can you also test drive a Broadmoor and a X300? The differences in the mid-range units may be worth it and give you more features and comfort. Your last mower LT-150 lasted you almost 20 years. That's a long time. You will likely own the next mower just as long if it is the right mower for your situation. For $10 more per month over 20-years you would have $2,400 towards a mid-range unit. Would that $2400 put you in a model that would serve you better, and be more comfortable? There is nothing worse than owning a mower you regret purchasing. With all of that above just being my opinion, you have selected 2- good options and will probably be happy with either one. Good luck narrowing your selection.
Thank you very much for your kind response.