Simplicity Conquest "transmission" light

wekjo

Threads
I have a 23/54 Simplicity Conquest which I believe was sold new in 2008, making it now 6 years old. I purchased it in 2009 with 30 hours on it. I have since replaced the engine, the PTO, and one arbor, I do a lot of mowing and I am certain it has over 600 hours on the transmission. This summer the transmission light on the dash began flickering, which did not surprise me. However having been through failing hydros before, they generally lose the ability to climb grades and then just fail. This was/is still running strong, just the light flickering. I changed the fluid and it still runs strong, actually my handy dandy retired neighbor changed the fluid and told me that the light is actually an engine oil level light. The manual says it is for the transmission and says take it to a dealer when that light comes on as the transmission is not owner serviceable. The image on the dash over the light is one of a transmission. There is however no wiring connected to the transmission which I can find, so I wonder what causes the light to go on and off. The wiring diagram, not really a schematic, in the illustrated parts breakdown indicates the thing is to be connected to an oil sensor. It has been 2 years since I replaced the engine and I do not recall an oil sensor on it.

So does anyone actually know what that light connects to? Also my engine does not smoke nor leak which I can observe, yet it needs frequent oil. Has good compression 23HPB&S vanguard now 2 years old.
What is the most likely cause of the oil use?

wekjo

Threads
I have a 23/54 Simplicity Conquest which I believe was sold new in 2008, making it now 6 years old. I purchased it in 2009 with 30 hours on it. I have since replaced the engine, the PTO, and one arbor, I do a lot of mowing and I am certain it has over 600 hours on the transmission. This summer the transmission light on the dash began flickering, which did not surprise me. However having been through failing hydros before, they generally lose the ability to climb grades and then just fail. This was/is still running strong, just the light flickering. I changed the fluid and it still runs strong, actually my handy dandy retired neighbor changed the fluid and told me that the light is actually an engine oil level light. The manual says it is for the transmission and says take it to a dealer when that light comes on as the transmission is not owner serviceable. The image on the dash over the light is one of a transmission. There is however no wiring connected to the transmission which I can find, so I wonder what causes the light to go on and off. The wiring diagram, not really a schematic, in the illustrated parts breakdown indicates the thing is to be connected to an oil sensor. It has been 2 years since I replaced the engine and I do not recall an oil sensor on it.

So does anyone actually know what that light connects to? Also my engine does not smoke nor leak which I can observe, yet it needs frequent oil. Has good compression 23HPB&S vanguard now 2 years old.
What is the most likely cause of the oil use?

Reply to my own message: Simplicity tech support takes too long to answer their phones. I ran the wire for the light and it does connect to an engine oil sensor which is mounted just forward of the filter. So there was an error in the owners manual for this model and I am sitting on a brand new tufftorq66. I am sure I will use it eventually when this one does burn up.

mechanic mark

Lawn Pro
Threads
http://bsintek.basco.com/BriggsDocumentDisplay/khFBHQ.grQ7uIaFNi8nSh9.tfnq5Y.pdf I talked to Tuff Torq several months ago, they recommend changing transaxle lube yearly. I asked the tech. why they did not have a drain plug in transaxles & he responded he did not know why, they have to be pulled and inverted to drain. I told him Simplicity manual says not serviceable, it's all about money.

https://www.tufftorqservices.com/instance1EnvEELogin/html/login.html If and when you replace your transaxle, apply antiseize compound to axle shafts before reinstalling wheels.

wekjo

Threads
http://bsintek.basco.com/BriggsDocumentDisplay/khFBHQ.grQ7uIaFNi8nSh9.tfnq5Y.pdf I talked to Tuff Torq several months ago, they recommend changing transaxle lube yearly. I asked the tech. why they did not have a drain plug in transaxles & he responded he did not know why, they have to be pulled and inverted to drain. I told him Simplicity manual says not serviceable, it's all about money.

https://www.tufftorqservices.com/instance1EnvEELogin/html/login.html If and when you replace your transaxle, apply antiseize compound to axle shafts before reinstalling wheels.

well the tufftorq66 in my conquest has 2 drain holes on the bottom and you can refill it via a turkey baster and long hoses through the top. there is a fill hole with a rubber stopper upper rear left for one side and a plastic see-through reservoir with removable cap upper rear right. again the owners manual is wrong, that transmission light is attached to an oil pressure sensor on the engine