SImplicity Champion ZTR with Kohler 18 HP Running rough, pulsing and pushing out copious white smoke.

gmcpcs

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / SImplicity Champion ZTR with Kohler 18 HP Running rough, pulsing and pushing out copious white smoke.
This is what I have:

Simplicity Champion Series
MFG 1694454
Serial 06015
Package 2690082
44"
Kohler 18 HP Engine
Model CV-493S Type PS-27523

Pertaining to the engine; I have replaced the coil, cleaned the air cooling fins, replaced the fuel lines and filters, put on a new air filter, and lubricated the carburetor control cables. I bought this machine used, and it was working pretty good, no smoke or no missing. I began having trouble with it (Shut down and wouldn't start) after mowing the second time with it. I only have mowed about 30 minutes each time, the first time it stopped completely, and had run out of gas. The second time is when it started missing, engine catching and smoking, and then quit altogether because of the mower being under load.

I have attempted to replace the fuel pump and carburetor with amazon specials, and went back to what was on the machine, as they seemed to work fine. (Another post I discovered that the amazon fuel pumps don't specify pumping direction) I know am getting good fuel to the engine, possibly too much? The carburetor seems to work fine, as far as the fuel adjustment and the choke. I also did an oil filter and oil change. The one thing I haven't done is take off the engine valve cover and dive into the engine and valves. I have removed the spark plug, and changed to a newer plug when I changed the coil. I haven't checked compression...I was hoping my issues were more fuel related. I am attaching a video of the recent start and run sequence.

The engine will surge to full speed, smoking clears up, and then it bogs down, and begins copious white smoke. Then it surges again, clears up, and runs a few seconds, and then bogs down again. It will do this cycle without dying, but obviously the white smoke is not good.
Thank you for your help,
GMCPCS

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
  • / SImplicity Champion ZTR with Kohler 18 HP Running rough, pulsing and pushing out copious white smoke.
Check your oil level and see if it is high or smells like gas. I’m leaning towards either a blown head gasket or bad float needle which is allowing fuel to run straight through the carb into the cylinder and crankcase.

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
Choke stuck closed? Plugged air filter?

gmcpcs

Forum Newbie
Threads
I checked the oil, and it was low, and I believe it smelled like gas. Also, the muffler was dripping oil onto the cardboard underneath. I am guessing that is a bad sign.

Attachments

• Muffler leaking oil.jpg
    Muffler leaking oil.jpg
    593.5 KB · Views: 2

gmcpcs

Forum Newbie
Threads
Choke stuck closed? Plugged air filter?
I have installed a new air filter, and when I had the carburetor loose after removing the air filter housing, I plied the choke and fuel cables back and forth. I couldn't see the choke on the other side, but it moves freely?

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
Pull the oil stick and SMELL for fuel, like was mentioned by Rivets.

I agree, with that much smoke, head gasket time or over filled with oil.

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
I checked the oil, and it was low, and I believe it smelled like gas.
Do NOT run the engine anymore.

Fix the carb issue first.

Then once carb is verified good, dump the oil a couple times.