Simplicity 16 GTH Keeps Dying

tavis

Forum Newbie
Threads
16 HP Craftsman motor When I mow the mower seems to overheat?? If I catch it in time and shut down the pto I can idle for a while then start mowing again, if not I have to let it set for awhile then start back up.

need some help diagnosing the problem

Last edited:

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Do you have a Simplicity 16 GTH or a Craftsman 16 HP unit? Give us some engine model numbers so we know what you are talking about.

tavis

Forum Newbie
Threads
It is a Simplicity 16GTH with Craftsman 16 HP motor and 50" Deck, I can mow for about an hour then I can feel it start surging so I shut the PTO down and idle it down for awhile, then I can mow for a little longer and start the process all over again.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Craftsman does not make engines. You have a Kohler, Briggs & stratton, or Kawasaki engine. Which one?

tavis

Forum Newbie
Threads
thats what I thought, but I have 2 engines, both with Identical craftsman stamps and logos on them, 16 hp. did briggs make them and craftsman sold them? can find no other identification on them. I bought the mower and extra engine off an old timer that tinkered on simplicities and he has since passed away.