Export thread

Shredding belts after replacing spindles

B

bassadict69

I recently changed my spindles and thought it didn't look right but ran it anyway. Now, sure enough, I am shredding my belt. My middle spindle pulley looks to be sitting too high...I thought I had put everything back just like it was. Is that my problem...how can I fix this?

IMG_7453.jpgIMG_7453.jpgIMG_7454.jpgIMG_7454.jpgIMG_7455.jpgIMG_7455.jpg

C

CraigH

Have you managed to put a pulley on upside down by any chance?

R

Rivets

Something is not right? Oh I know, we have no idea which model of Ariens/Gravely mower you are showing us. Hundreds of models available, can you narrow it down to one, by tell use the model number off the ID tag. Then we at least have a chance of helping you with your problem.

I

ILENGINE

I think the center spindle pulley is fine. the issue is the left spindle pulley is on upside down. If you look the idler pulley is in line with the center spindle pulley but the left spindle is pulling the belt downward.

B

Bertrrr

Looks like the belt is Rolling and twisting, once they do that they keep on doing it I find. I'm not sure those Idlers have a up/down design but maybe so ,pull both and flip over to see if there's a difference I think if there's a side that is longer or sticking out more than the other side it would go down so the pully would have enough clearance over the deck,

B

bassadict69

It’s a 991083, ser number begins with 022

B

bassadict69

I think the center spindle pulley is fine. the issue is the left spindle pulley is on upside down. If you look the idler pulley is in line with the center spindle pulley but the left spindle is pulling the belt downward.
I will try flipping it and see if it helps...

B

bassadict69

Also, what is the easiest way to release the belt tension? I had a hell of a time with it when I replaced the spindles.

B

Bertrrr

I hook a cord through the spring and pull into place

StarTech

StarTech

Bingo. Both the Ariens and the Gravely version of the 52" deck are in the shop now. The LH deck spindle pulley is definitely upside down.
Looks like the belt is Rolling and twisting, once they do that they keep on doing it I find. I'm not sure those Idlers have a up/down design but maybe so ,pull both and flip over to see if there's a difference I think if there's a side that is longer or sticking out more than the other side it would go down so the pully would have enough clearance over the deck,
An optical illusion usually as this mower uses a BB belt which is a 5/8" Hex shaped belt but with the belt damage it might have rolled..
1685391753987.png

B

bassadict69

Ya'll are awesome! Thank you!

T

tvaughn

I recently changed my spindles and thought it didn't look right but ran it anyway. Now, sure enough, I am shredding my belt. My middle spindle pulley looks to be sitting too high...I thought I had put everything back just like it was. Is that my problem...how can I fix this?

View attachment 64747View attachment 64747View attachment 64748View attachment 64748View attachment 64749View attachment 64749
The belt is not routed correctly. Make sure the V side of the belt in on the V pulleys and the flat side of the belt is on the flat pulley.

StarTech

StarTech

The belt is not routed correctly. Make sure the V side of the belt in on the V pulleys and the flat side of the belt is on the flat pulley.
Hmmm, Just which one of the six flat sides you think the OP need to put against the flat idlers? All you can do is install it without a twist in the belt. Now of these do have two primary sides that for the v grooves and can have a couple raised ribs on those sides. Also that align the cording of the belts for maximum strength.

Here is an example.
1685445173739.png

B

bassadict69

Belt was installed correctly until it was ran for awhile on uneven pulleys and began shredding.

I have flipped the pulley and now everything lines up nice and level...I hope to be able to grab a new belt tomorrow.

strohmoose

strohmoose

Aren't there two different length spindles of some decks like my Dixie Chopper Silver Eagle?

G

Gord Baker

Have you managed to put a pulley on upside down by any chance?
Good eye! Yes the belt is running much lower on the pulley in foreground. Left?
Sometimes the shaft that holds the Idler wears and you have to give the strap a bend to align the belt.

L

LMPPLUS

Basadict69, double check that belt and make sure it's a "double v belt" P/N-07200026 or equal 265-518 Stens, also make sure all the idler pulleys are v idlers not flat idlers, once you get the pulley turned over.

A

AChrome

Something is not right? Oh I know, we have no idea which model of Ariens/Gravely mower you are showing us. Hundreds of models available, can you narrow it down to one, by tell use the model number off the ID tag. Then we at least have a chance of helping you with your problem.
Come on man, don't be so cruel. Did you talk to your students this way when they were trying to learn?

R

Rivets

Yes I did, because honestly is always the best way to get their attention. If you think that was cruel, you should see what I’m thinking about you and your post. If you would be a regular member of this forum, you would see how many times people post inquiries about how to fix something, but give us no clue of what they have in front of them. People forget most of us are techs located hundreds if not thousands of miles away, not psychic’s, who are not standing next to them while they tell us about the problem.

S

slomo

Yes I did, because honestly is always the best way to get their attention. If you think that was cruel, you should see what I’m thinking about you and your post. If you would be a regular member of this forum, you would see how many times people post inquiries about how to fix something, but give us no clue of what they have in front of them. People forget most of us are techs located hundreds if not thousands of miles away, not psychic’s, who are not standing next to them while they tell us about the problem.
Does get frustrating at times. Or when the OP says they've already done some testing trick, come to find out they really haven't. When the pictures get posted the truth comes out.

C

catfish51

Well he posted some pretty good clear photos So it really didn't matter if it was a toro or a Skag or a John Deere you could see what was possibly going on

R

Rivets

DI’d you know that some decks have pulleys which are not all on the same plane? Guessing what someone is working on is not something a good tech likes to do. This will be my last post responding to you, because you are like my wife, she’s always right and I’m always wrong. So I say YES DEAR and walk away.

K

kjonxx

View attachment 64747View attachment 64747View attachment 64748View attachment 64748View attachment 64749View attachment 64749
Idler bracket looks bent up causeing belt to ride on the edge. is it loose?

A

AChrome

I don't really care what you think about me. Those that come here to try and figure out their problem can be so frustrated that they don't think about that at first. A simple polite note asking would be a lot nicer. And yes, I've seen it many times they don't post the ID numbers, but don't take your frustration out them. Poor wife and students.

C

catfish51

DI’d you know that some decks have pulleys which are not all on the same plane? Guessing what someone is working on is not something a good tech likes to do. This will be my last post responding to you, because you are like my wife, she’s always right and I’m always wrong. So I say YES DEAR and walk away.
Those that can do do those that can't teach Enough said

R

Rivets

YES DEAR!! Which means your teachers didn’t help you understand how the real world works.

S

SlopeMan2

Yikes. I have been lucky about that. A lot of people do have trouble. We have 800 hours on our '05 54" Cub Cadet, which still has the original belt on it. I noticed today, that it has a lot of cracks in it. I have always marveled, when you change blade height, how they last as long a they do. Glad you found some help on the forum. Nice to hear from experts.

M

muddy51

Well he posted some pretty good clear photos So it really didn't matter if it was a toro or a Skag or a John Deere you could see what was possibly going on
I like to take a series of short video's before and as I disassemble. This shows me the way and I can leave short comments about what I am seeing. Helps greatly during reassembly.

C

catfish51

YES DEAR!! Which means your teachers didn’t help you understand how the real world works.
That's the problem only some of us had to work and function in the real world

StarTech

StarTech

That's the problem only some of us had to work and function in the real world
Whoa...There is a real world out there? Then I must living in a nightmare one where Murphy just won't leave lately. At least I finally got running water again after six months; although, it is only 90% operational currently until I get back to plumbing store. Now it is my transmission that causing the most pain here. Getting to it this week before I order a master rebuild kit just make sure nothing else is major problem but even then Murphy might throw a wrench in the works.