should I hone or just clean an go?

Ocean909

Threads
I was always told that if you can't catch your fingernail on a grove you can avoid a hone, but others here know vastly more so I'd wait to hear what they say.

Tiger Small Engine

Threads
I was always told that if you can't catch your fingernail on a grove you can avoid a hone, but others here know vastly more so I'd wait to hear what they say.
That is some fairly aggressive scoring in the cylinder. If you can use a stone or ball hone and improve it to useable state, I would be surprised. Will probably experience loss of compression and oil burning. Consider replacing cylinder.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Well personally the cylinder need resizing with a rigid hone. But before you want go down that road you need to know if an oversized piston and rings are even available for the particular engine in question.

Also it is usually not economical for a DIYer to buy these tools. The Lisle 15000 is around $175 plus you may need extra stones. Or if a smaller cylinder then the Lisle 16000 hone which is around $200. And of course you need a 1/2" low speed drill (under 500 rpm) as you be honing at around 250 rpm max.

Personally I haven't done a resize in about 8 yrs as many of the pistons are simply not available any more. So my hones are just sitting in the tool box collecting dust.