Should I buy "consumer" or "commercial?" And what format?

zadok

Threads
  • / Should I buy "consumer" or "commercial?" And what format?
Since I'm still a bit of a newbie, let me share my question, then I want to share a bit of my background...

Question:

We are moving to a new home, about 1 acre, with some at least 25 deg hills. I was hoping to get a zero turn sit down mower, but may not be the best idea with the hills.

I'm thinking of a walk-behind. And here is my question:

1) Should I buy something like a CC-800 for like $1,200 (from a dealer, not big box) <or> a low-end commercial walk behind, with hydros, and where I could add a sulky? I could opt for a cheaper gear drive commercial walk-behind, but not sure of any value for my resell scheme (#3).
2) My thinking: The CC-800, sorry to insult, fits into the "throw-away" category IMO. This is just my opinion and you'll see why I think that way.
3) If I buy a commercial machine, my plan might be to keep it for 10 years, put 300 hours on it, then sell it.

So it's the $1,200, gear drive, deal, or the $3K+ rig? What I don't know is if the walk behind will have any equity in say 10 years.

History:

I'm old enough to remember the days when Cub Cadet machines were built with American made Kholer engines and were built like a tank. I'm also familiar with some other brands of that vitage, like Gravely. Now, a nice Gravely in the '80s cost $10k I think.Big bucks for a homeowner who only wanted to mow, or maybe mow and blow snow.

I recently sold a very well cared for Simplicity Broadmoor for $1,500. It had 230 hours. This my thinking of the commercial machine - I could sell it. Thus, I paid about $3,500 for the Broadmoor, super maintained it, and sold it for $1,500. To me, $2k to run the thing for 10 year is a good deal -- maybe not as good a deal as the $1,200 throw-a-way, but a better operating experience while I own it! >>>Which is the deal here: I LIKE doing yard work!<<< I DO NOT KNOW if the current walk-behinds, with sulky, are "in style" any longer. I'm seeing the guys using stand-up zero-turns most of the time, or rigs with dualies for hills. I don't want to pay $7k for a commercial stand up machine. But I'd pay up to about $4k if I thought I could put 300 hours on it in 10 years and depreciate it at like 40% to 50% or so like I just did with the Broadmoor.

Final thoughts: I'm just not too excited with most of the "lawn tractors." They all seem to come with K-46 or K-57 trannys. I had a K57 and it held up fine, but navigating around corners and obstacles was a pain. And it didn't have the traction the dealer claimed. I'd have to rock to one side of the seat on mild hills - that is, after I disconnected the seat dead man safety switch :)

Thanks!

zadok

Threads
  • / Should I buy "consumer" or "commercial?" And what format?
Interesting. Have not considered that one. Nice warranty. I'll have to find a dealer. And one who will come out to my place or at least watch a video... Thanks!