Shopping for a new garden tractor

harryset

Threads
I'm looking at CC to replace my current Craftsman 24hp garden tractor.

I'd welcome recommendations from anyone that regularly uses their tractor with a snow blower attachment, in heavy winter conditions. Seriously considering the power steering models 'cause I'm not getting any younger.

de dee

Threads
I'm looking at CC to replace my current Craftsman 24hp garden tractor.

I'd welcome recommendations from anyone that regularly uses their tractor with a snow blower attachment, in heavy winter conditions. Seriously considering the power steering models 'cause I'm not getting any younger.

I have a PGT 9000 craftsman new in dec. 17 2013 26 HP. lots of power , but the belt slips with heavy snow, then the chute plugs, it,s a pain ( PITA) just starting to think Power take off,. is that in the buggit,. I dont know what one would cost is it on bigger tractors ??? are the blowers more money,. ??? I seen a write up on here,. the guy installed belting on his impellers to make the impeller sweep clean,. and he claims the chute never plugs,. even wet snow,. Im going to try it ,. I think I have an old belt mud flap some where,. I will let you know what happens when I do,.

harryset

Threads
I happened to wander in to our local Fleet-Farm store, back in October, and they had a CC 1054 LGT sitting outside, with a snow blower already attached. The total price, was over $1000 under normal retail.

The first thing I noticed about the Cadet, was that the steering was really light, and tight, even with the snow blower hanging out the front end. I purchased a suitcase weight, and V-bar chains for the rear. The V-bar chains ensure that when the wheels turn, the tractor is moving.

First snow that I used it on was really heavy. The seat switches, when cold, are very touchy, and took some getting used to. The MTD snowblower attachment dug in to the surface so much, that steering was nearly impossible. Problem is the shoes act like ice skates, instead of skis. I cured that problem by adding a set of Armor-skids. These suckers are 12" long, over an inch wide, and made in America with 1/4" steel, then powder coated.

I burnt up a belt on the first day. I noticed that it didn't appear to be a very fresh belt. Struggled greatly with installing the new belt; way harder than necessary. I will be looking at making some mods to cure that problem, this next spring. I have since used it on even heavier snow, and extreme cold with no problem. I have an additional set of chains for the front wheels, that I may put on next year to aid with steering.

One thing I really like about the MTD snowblower attachment, is that the chute is a little more centered between the Cub's headlights, and you don't get thrown into the dark when the chute is pointed to the left. A couple of times, while making the back and forth trips on the driveway, I have thought about making the mods to the impeller, it is supposed to really make the snow fly.

Another thing that I have found handy, is the spray on stuff that helps to keep the snow from sticking inside the housings. I use it heavily on the Cub, and also my little toro 2-stroke push unit.

Having said all of that, I will continue keeping up my old 24HP, Big Green Machine. I have the sleeve hitch back blade, and garden tiller that get used every summer.