Shifting the Troy-Bilt Pony 42X Riding Lawn Mower, 13A877BS066

Buckjack

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / Shifting the Troy-Bilt Pony 42X Riding Lawn Mower, 13A877BS066
This should be simple, but I am getting mixed messages from dealership manager, owners manuals poorly written, and experienced friends. When shifting the lawn tractor mentioned below, which has a "7-speed Shift-on-the-Go" transmission", do you have to clutch each time you move the CVT Speed Control Lever to a faster or lower speed?

The dealer says yes: clutch; The manual is vague (stopping before a full and complete instruction); experienced lawn tractor friends say no: do not clutch. I tend to agree with my friends: It cannot be "Shift on the go" If you have to clutch every time you shift (which stops the mower).

Troy-Built could not find the answer in a timely manner, and they closed for the day and week yesterday before they could get me to a department that could.

Troy-Bilt Pony 42X Riding Lawn Mower, 13A877BS066.

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
On MTD gear mowers the speed selector just determines what position the variable pulley is in. It has been my experience that you can speed up without clutching but need to use some pressure on the clutch pedal to move it to a slower speed selection.

Buckjack

Forum Newbie
Threads
On MTD gear mowers the speed selector just determines what position the variable pulley is in. It has been my experience that you can speed up without clutching but need to use some pressure on the clutch pedal to move it to a slower speed selection.

That seems to be what the vague manual is suggesting.

gainestruk

Threads
The Bronco has same drive system as Pony, on Bronco you push right peddle to go, the farther down the faster.
So no need to use clutch on pony, it has same veri-drive as Bronco

Buckjack

Forum Newbie
Threads
The Bronco has same drive system as Pony, on Bronco you push right peddle to go, the farther down the faster.
So no need to use clutch on pony, it has same veri-drive as Bronco
This new 2020 Bronco 7 speed has no pedal on the right side. I tried to gently move the shift lever on the dash "on the go", but it will not shift without forcing it or pushing the left, clutch pedal. I believe the new Pony comes in different drive options, and one sounds like what you describe, which I think they call automatic.

Last edited: