Export thread

Serial # and age of mower?

M

marc

Can I find out the age of my Craftsman mower by the serial number?
If so here it is. Model # 917.254450 serial # 1910S10928
18 hp b & S 6spd with electric PTO mower clutch

I

Ifixdit

Marc,

You can use the model number you provided to obtain an owner's manual from Sear Parts Direct but it won't tell you the age of your tractor. If you can get the numbers off the engine itself that will at least tell you the year of the engine. On a B & S engine the numbers will look something like this in a series

081102 908522 6203060

You can determine the age of the engine based on the first two numbers of the last set of numbers in the series. In the example above the engine was manufactured in 1962. Hope this helps.

Two-Stroke

Two-Stroke

Thanks for the tip on B & S serial numbers. I've got a Briggs engine on one of my mowers and I've always wondered how old it is.

M

Mark w

What year Mof525a191806

wjjones

wjjones

The digits in the model# tell you the month, day, and year but I cant remeber how it goes. Anybody know anything about how to get the date from the model#? I think its the first 3 digits after the 917? Mine is a 2006, and the model# is 917.276800, or 02/07/2006. I hope some member will weigh in, and correct me if they know for sure.

R

Rivets

Jones is half right. You use the serial number, not the model number. This is good only on older models, as new models should have a DOM number.