Self-Propel Mechanism (Model # 10324). Forward Works Fine. Wheels Lock When Pulling Backwards.

bmccollum

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / Self-Propel Mechanism (Model # 10324). Forward Works Fine. Wheels Lock When Pulling Backwards.
I have a Lawn Boy model #10324 that I purchased new in approx. 1998-1999.

Recently, the left rear wheel quit engaging to propel the mower forward. The right rear wheel still self-propelled the mower just fine.

Took it to a small engine repair shop I've used the past couple of years, got info. from the young man that's the primary mechanic there as to which parts in the self-propel mechanism were in need of replacement, and I ordered those parts. I went on and ordered replacement wheels for the front/back as well as all wheels were basically slick and worn out.

Here's what I ordered:
--- Drive Wheel Toro (Part # 92-1042) (2 rear drive wheels)
--- Wheel Shoulder Bolt (2 of them) (Part # 921057)
--- Gear Pinion (2 of them) (Part # 654750)
--- Friction Ring (2 of them) (Part # 65-4710)
--- Wheel & Tire (2 of them for the front) (Part # 684776)
--- Bolt-Shoulder (2 of them) (Part # 92-1099)

I got instruction from the mechanic as to how to get everything disassembled and off and of course back on in the correct order. Really no problems with any of that.

Mowed for the first time today since replacing the wheels and the other parts I mentioned above. Self-propel worked like a charm, very strongly on BOTH rear wheels.

However... when I disengaged the bail in order to turn the mower around to make the next pass in the lawn, the wheels wanted to lock-up and not free-spin about 90% of the time that I pulled the mower backwards w/the bail disengaged.

I Googled this after I finished mowing, and most everything seemed to point to lack of sufficient grease on the gear pinion and related parts in that area. I figured no big deal, I'd just take the wheels off and would apply grease to those items, as I failed to apply any grease when I replaced the parts the previous evening.

What I found on the left rear wheel was that the new rubber friction ring was apparently completely disintegrated in the 25 min. it took me to mow, and it was gone. The washer clutch (Part # 65-4760) on that side (it was still the original washer clutch from 22 years ago when I purchased the mower) had been basically what I would call "ground-down" to almost nothing, nowhere near the thickness it was supposed to be.

On the right rear wheel, all of the parts/pieces still looked good, but same as the left rear wheel area, the new rubber friction ring was completely disintegrated and no longer in place... nowhere to be seen.

Thoughts here? My primary guess is that I failed to put any grease on the gear pinion and related items that move/turn/function in the "drive train" area, and that's what caused those couple of parts to basically disintegrate or be ground-down during just 25-or-so min. of mowing.

I'm going to order the parts that were destroyed today once again, and am just going to take the mower and the replacement parts to the small engine mechanic and ask him to reinstall / replace everything this go-around, as there's apparently something I didn't do correctly, regardless of how carefully I removed and reinstalled everything, in the proper installation order on the axle, etc.

I appreciate any thoughts

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
  • / Self-Propel Mechanism (Model # 10324). Forward Works Fine. Wheels Lock When Pulling Backwards.
Before ordering parts check out section 6 of this manual. Yes, I know you have a Lawn Boy and this is a Toro manual, but the drives are the same. https://www.toro.com/getpub/22446

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
Thought this was a Honda mower issue.

slomo

viperv10

Threads
When I have had trouble with self propel dragging when pulling backwards it has been the rocking key hanging up in the keyway. Grease and dirt gunk up parts and they bind up. I clean out all the parts and clean out the key way with wd 40. Then put everything back. sometimes that spring will go flying across the garage if it slips putting it on or taking it off.
I have no idea why the friction washer would be eaten up unless something was put back in backwards or out of order.
Jerry

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Any time I must replace the drive gears I also replace both the frict washer and plastic key holder. They wear due to constant motion in a very dirty environment.