Export thread

Sears Craftsman GT3000 Battery

davbell22602

davbell22602

23hp vtwin Kolher command pro

Is anybody using a battery that has more than 300 amps on this tractor setup or similar to it? Bought a 300 amp new back in the summer. When we had all that snow this earlier this month it started up fine. Went to start it a few days later when temperatures were in the 20's had to use jump pack cause battery wasnt turning engine fast enough to start. Today I went to start it in 50 degree weather and it started right up. Starting wonder if I should have bought the 450 amp Duralast gold battery from AZ for $50. Would I shorten life on the stater if I did go to 450amp battery?

All connections are tight.

wjjones

wjjones

I got the 450 amp Briggs battery from TSC for $43, and that is with tax. It has held up pretty good so far.

wjjones

wjjones

I have one of these on my other mower it does good too. I couldnt find the TSC battery they might have quit stocking them.

Autocraft Lawn & Garden 12-Volt Small Engine Maintenance-Free Battery, Group Size U1, 340 CCA U1-3: Buy the right Batteries - Lawn & Garden at Advance Auto Parts

davbell22602

davbell22602

I can get 450amp from Autozone in Duralast Gold for $50.

M

motoman

Your difficulty starting is only partly the rated power. You may not have kept the battery at full charge. I have a 300 amp tractor bat in my 2.8 Fiero and it starts in 30F. Get a hydrometer and a good charger which tells charge status. Do I recommend the small bat and 2.8? No, only for the lunatic fringe, but I've used it for years this way.

davbell22602

davbell22602

Your difficulty starting is only partly the rated power. You may not have kept the battery at full charge. I have a 300 amp tractor bat in my 2.8 Fiero and it starts in 30F. Get a hydrometer and a good charger which tells charge status. Do I recommend the small bat and 2.8? No, only for the lunatic fringe, but I've used it for years this way.

Battery is 6 months old and its 300 amp battery. I been starting it up 2-3 times a month.

M

motoman

Starting rapidly depletes the smaller bats. If the tractor is not run long enough the bat is not restored and requires charging before another session. One thing good on my craftsman yt4000 is the ammeter (round gauge on dash) which still works. It shows heavy charging for many minutes after each start (15-20), even after an auxiliary charge. Charge depletion without restoring bat is key in rapid battery deterioration. The large car batteries also are impacted , but there is so much reserve (lead) it is not noticed, but the bat life is shortened. Using a big bat will not hurt your starter as it draws a set amount of current .

D

de dee

23hp vtwin Kolher command pro

Is anybody using a battery that has more than 300 amps on this tractor setup or similar to it? Bought a 300 amp new back in the summer. When we had all that snow this earlier this month it started up fine. Went to start it a few days later when temperatures were in the 20's had to use jump pack cause battery wasnt turning engine fast enough to start. Today I went to start it in 50 degree weather and it started right up. Starting wonder if I should have bought the 450 amp Duralast gold battery from AZ for $50. Would I shorten life on the stater if I did go to 450amp battery?

All connections are tight.

if you have a choice always buy the highest rated battery ,. and start by charging it for 12 to 24 hours,. the battery will thank you with a long life, and charge it from time to time to keep it happy,. thats what I do in the great white north where it can go to 40 below zero,. my tractor is used all winter with the snow blower,.26 below this morning,. last week it was 30 below and it started , with no trouble,. PGT 9000 craftsman 26 HP. have a very merry Xmas and a happy new year,. de dee

D

de dee

if you have a choice always buy the highest rated battery ,. and start by charging it for 12 to 24 hours,. the battery will thank you with a long life, and charge it from time to time to keep it happy,. thats what I do in the great white north where it can go to 40 below zero,. my tractor is used all winter with the snow blower,.26 below this morning,. last week it was 30 below and it started , with no trouble,. PGT 9000 craftsman 26 HP. have a very merry Xmas and a happy new year,. de dee

PS. a smaller battery will be harder on your starter, with low voltage in cold weather,. a battery looses up to 1/2 it,s power in the cold,. very cold that is,

wjjones

wjjones

I can get 450amp from Autozone in Duralast Gold for $50.

How many cca amps does it show?

davbell22602

davbell22602

M

motoman

I have found the Wal Mart tractor bats are good buys and will last about 3 years with care. About $28 with core.

davbell22602

davbell22602

I have found the Wal Mart tractor bats are good buys and will last about 3 years with care. About $28 with core.

I wont buy those never start batteries from walmart. I had tractor give to me few years ago that had year old battery from walmart that went bad. I stick to autozone if I have to pay a core or my buddies shop that doesnt have a core charge when buying batteries.

wjjones

wjjones

I wont buy those never start batteries from walmart. I had tractor give to me that had year old battery that went bad. few years ago. I stick to autozone if I have to pay a core or my buddies shop that doesnt have a core charge when buying batteries.

I wont buy walmart batteries either they are junk. Advance auto parts sells a good battery too.

exotion

exotion

I wont buy walmart batteries either they are junk. Advance auto parts sells a good battery too.

I bought a Walmart battery 5 years ago for my jeep got it tested 2 days ago still good like new .... Maybe I got the only good one. I bought it expecting to buy a new one in a year lol

wjjones

wjjones

I bought a Walmart battery 5 years ago for my jeep got it tested 2 days ago still good like new .... Maybe I got the only good one. I bought it expecting to buy a new one in a year lol

Automotive are not that bad but their lawn batteries are crap atleast the ones I bought where. They are both made by Johnson controls, or atleast that is who use to make their batteries.

davbell22602

davbell22602

Automotive are not that bad but their lawn batteries are crap atleast the ones I bought where. They are both made by Johnson controls, or atleast that is who use to make their batteries.

There still made by Johnson and select stores get ones made exoide.

R

redmed

I had a Walmart battery that lasted 6 years but used a BatteryMinder on the battery every winter. Last year I got the Duralast from Autozone and no problems.

T

treechipper48

If you are in an area in which some parts of the year it is cold get a battery with high CCA (cold cranking amps).