Sears by Craftsman garden Tractor has chassis problem

amar

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / Sears by Craftsman garden Tractor has chassis problem
I purchased Sears Tractor by Craftsman. It was in 2012, YT3000 Model 917288520. Warranty was good for 3 years. My chassis is bent. It started from the beginning, and started to get worse. I noticed after 3 years that something was not right with grass. I adjusted it so it was ok. Two years later it again had to adjust. I said something is wrong. I noticed “Lawn Tractor Deck Lift” is off. I ordered new one. Then I compared new and old, it is good. I cannot compare with chassis design, so I compared it, I measured from front to back (wheel to wheel approximately 44") ground to bottom of chassis, 11" (00"), 11 1/4" (7"), 11 1/2" (20"), 11 1/2" (30”), 11" (44”). I am positive that chassis is bent.

Compact7

Threads
Is that measured along just one frame rail? Totally flat surface it's on for the measurements? I'd kinda think a left side/right side difference would cause uneven mowing more than a slight rise in the center. Still, you'd think the mower deck could be adjusted for a half-inch difference since it connects mostly to the center of the frame.

Seems odd to me it's higher in the middle. Most bent frames I've seen pics of are dished down in the center, usually from overloading a bucket attachment.

Anyway, it's not much of a frame! Stamped steel by the looks of this diagram. So some tweaking with use could be expected. Total teardown to address it at the frame itself, not sure what you can do.

Attachments

• Frame.jpg
    Frame.jpg
    150.9 KB · Views: 5

keakar

Threads
i suspect it is the result of more about how you drive it then how its made.

they have zero suspension and cant handle being treated like a truck or 4wd

taking fast turns and rumbling through ruts takes a heavy toll on a rigid framed lawnmower

running lower air pressure tires will absorb a lot of jolts to the mower

its 8 yrs old with a bent frame, and most likely the front end is beat to hell and alkl worn out as well, i suggest you but a used mower just like it and use yours for spare parts if the mower you buy needs an engine, tranny, or just a deck you can buy them super cheap for $100

amar

Forum Newbie
Threads
I do it as Deck adjustments needed time-to-time. I have problem with chassis. As Kubota Ronin said that chassis is not sturdy. The span of the wheels with the front and the back depends on the link lift assembly (fig. 101). Chassis should be higher in the middle and link lift assembly but link lift assembly (in the original picture) is off set almost 2”, it should only ½”.
One catch is warrant, if problem is chassis then it will be beyond 3 years warrant. How can we handle.

Attachments

• Lift_deck.png
    Lift_deck.png
    60.2 KB · Views: 5