Export thread

SD Raptor hydraulic leak

B

Bill_in_Texas

After extreme cold in Texas, my unit developed a hydraulic fluid leak on the rear left. It is in my garage and never experienced freezing but it did get cold. Any clues where this could be coming from. I have pics. The inside underneath is clean and it appears to start up top. Thanks for input.

Attachments

M

mechanic mark

Zoom in on last picture, it looks like seal at topside under fan is leaking & dirt is clinging to oil on transmission housing.

B

Bill_in_Texas

Zoom in on last picture, it looks like seal at topside under fan is leaking & dirt is clinging to oil on transmission housing.
I assume the repair would be pretty involved for a novice?

M

mechanic mark

I assume the repair would be pretty involved for a novice?
Absolutely!

B

Bill_in_Texas

Absolutely!
Thank you. To the shop it goes.

I

ILENGINE

All of the oil around the seals looks minor, Where is the fresh oil trail coming from. Don't see oil in the pictures to account for the oil on the ground

B

Bill_in_Texas

All of the oil around the seals looks minor, Where is the fresh oil trail coming from. Don't see oil in the pictures to account for the oil on the ground
I don't have an answer to that. It didn't occur until the extreme cold we had in Texas last week. I had wondered if a gasket or o-ring shrunk due to the cold.

StarTech

StarTech

Yes it is most likely a seal or o-ring that is leaking but everything is just a guess since model number has been posted. Just having the series name is not usable as we can't look-up the equipment except by the model number on the serial number tag.

Even thinking one of the sealing items leaking you would still to know which one. Most of the Hustlers I have worked use Hydro Gear transaxles or pumps and wheels motors.

I would recommend carry it to a shop that knows what they are doing since you are a novice at repairs.

B

Bill_in_Texas

Yes it is most likely a seal or o-ring that is leaking but everything is just a guess since model number has been posted. Just having the series name is not usable as we can't look-up the equipment except by the model number on the serial number tag.

Even thinking one of the sealing items leaking you would still to know which one. Most of the Hustlers I have worked use Hydro Gear transaxles or pumps and wheels motors.

I would recommend carry it to a shop that knows what they are doing since you are a novice at repair
The Model number shown on the paperwork is 932588, 54" cut.

StarTech

StarTech

Are you sure it is not 932566? It is the 932566 then the seal kit is 71410 superseded to 72994 for the Hydro Gear ZT-2800 series transaxle. Also it is showing an oil filter which might be loose.

But I have seen the oil pump cover oil ring to leak on a couple of these transaxles. If you remove the oil pump cover, pay attention to it orientation as it is directional; otherwords, if installed backwards the transaxle will operate backwards. Also these pump covers are noted to check for possible warpage. If is the pump cover leaking they can be changed without removal of the transaxle or at the last one I did change the oil ring for last Summer was.

I

ILENGINE

If the mower hasn't been moved I would be looking more around the hydro expansion tank Most of the oil puddle is too far in front of the hydro

StarTech

StarTech

If the mower hasn't been moved I would be looking more around the hydro expansion tank Most of the oil puddle is too far in front of the hydro
I would have thought that too last year. The hydro here (left side also) would only leak after sitting a few days which I finally traced it to the pump cover. That thought of tank hose is a good starting point to look at.

Oil is like blood a little of it always looks to be a larger amount than it is actually as spreads out.

B

Bill_in_Texas

Are you sure it is not 932566? It is the 932566 then the seal kit is 71410 superseded to 72994 for the Hydro Gear ZT-2800 series transaxle. Also it is showing an oil filter which might be loose.

But I have seen the oil pump cover oil ring to leak on a couple of these transaxles. If you remove the oil pump cover, pay attention to it orientation as it is directional; otherwords, if installed backwards the transaxle will operate backwards. Also these pump covers are noted to check for possible warpage. If is the pump cover leaking they can be changed without removal of the transaxle or at the last one I did change the oil ring for last Summer was.
Dealer paperwork shows it to be 88 for the last two numbers.

B

Bill_in_Texas

I took a look at the connections of the lines coming from the expansion tank and saw no signs of oil. It did appear most saturated on the outside face of the transaxle.

M

mechanic mark

Bill_in_Texas, Please let us know where leak originated from, Thanks, Mark

B

Bill_in_Texas

Bill_in_Texas, Please let us know where leak originated from, Thanks, Mark
Will do, Mark.

Mr. Mower

Mr. Mower

Sub'd

L

lugbolt

Appears to be input seal leak. Saw a lot of those leaks when I worked at the dealer. 2 options. One, replace it with new HST. Or, two, rebuild it with a new seal kit. They’re expensive either way.

Beamster

Beamster

Having lived in a four season environment for 70 plus years, I have not seen weather affected seals and gaskets on our equipment vehicles. Also, searching of the affects of cold on rubber I see references that it expands, not contracts. I'd be skeptical that the weather snap caused the leak.

T

teezee70

Mine has the same leak after the cold and all it was on mine was the oil filters that were leaking. The cold contracted the aluminum and metal loosening the seal.
That was what my trouble was and it was leaking on the floor exactly like yours. Hope it is that simple for you.

T

teezee70

Having lived in a four season environment for 70 plus years, I have not seen weather affected seals and gaskets on our equipment vehicles. Also, searching of the affects of cold on rubber I see references that it expands, not contracts. I'd be skeptical that the weather snap caused the leak.
You are very correct on that. Being an Auto mechanic all my life and being around for 73 years rubber acts that way. It's the metal that reacts differently. On the filters you have two different metals that react to cold and contact differently so the loosen and different rates. If the filter is already not tighten properly. ( I admit I didn't tighten might properly). They could leak.
I am not saying that this is the problem just that this was my problem and a possibility.

B

Born2Mow

The area around the fan is "sweating", which I consider normal.

"Leaking" on the other hand would be coming from something below the fluid level. It has to be down low to leak that kind of volume. So you need to show us photos from the bottom looking up.

I

ILENGINE

The dusty areas are not the leak you are looking for. The big leak will leave a clean trail.

B

Born2Mow

The big leak will leave a clean trail.
In the old days, we used to dust the area with talc to help us see the oil. The talc would stick to the oil, but not the dry metal.

ILENGINE is right, you can't see fresh oil on a metal case.

B

Bill_in_Texas

I had the item repaired. There were leaking O-rings on the brake shaft which is at the bottom in front of the spindle shaft. It was much more that I wanted to deal with. Thanks for the advice and for whoever posted the PDF for the transaxles, it was very helpful.

B

Born2Mow

Thank you !! It's nice to have someone come back and tell us "the rest of the story".

Glad you had a good ending.