Scott's 17hp kohler bogs down..stumped

Brudog

Forum Newbie
Threads
My neighbor let me borrow his Scott's 17hp w Kohler (sorry not sure of model# etc) while my riding mower was down and it's bogging down. He had just finished with his yard and it worked fine...

I then emptied my gas can in his tank and got new gas so I could leave him with a full tank later...it started and was cutting fine about the first 25-30 yards...then I needed to cut in reverse and it started to die because I forgot about the extra button to press before cutting in reverse...I caught it before it died and proceeded accordingly but it then started to miss or bog down with a few strange common denominators...

Engaging the blade would usually cause it to happen, but not always...but when it happens you can usually disengage the blade, throttle it down, then throttle back up and it would return to normal...sometimes you could engage and it would mow normal several yards or more, then oddly enough, going uphill or even downhill would cause it to happen...even when it's doing it, it never dies all the way, just runs very low.

We thought initially that maybe I got water in the tank from my gas can, so we drained the tank best we could, changed fuel filter, new plug, cleaned air filter, even added sea foam to the tank...But it continued after running it a lot to cleanit out...we have NOT messed with the carburetor yet FYI...

I realize it could still be water, but what else would you suggest? Try to clean the carb?

Granted when I tried to cut in reverse and triggered the safety kill switch, it would have been the right time and distance for water to have been the cause, but I'm also curious if not water, could there be some kind of short in the safety switches that would cause this inconsistency? Seems if it was the safety switch it would either run or die completely.

It's a 10-12 yr old tractor, but he takes good care of it and I hate that we can't figure it out for him...we are obviously no mechanics

Thanks in advance

taxidermist

Threads
I would clean the carb real well then go from there.

Rob

Brudog

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks Rob....oddly enough, before we attempted the carb, he was told to check the gas cap on the tank and clean the holes....hard for me to believe, but they were clogged and its worked fine since...go figure

johnaparker

Forum Newbie
Threads
While this thread is obviously old and resolved I wanted to comment that this posting saved me quite a bit of angst with the Scotts 17.5 HP, 42" rider I gave my son recently. The mower had been a workhorse for years, though recently my younger son had been complaining that the thing would occasionally quit.

This morning his older brother called and said it started for him then quit and wouldn't start again. I was all set to walk him through the "OK, pull the spark plug is it wet?; Check the plug for spark.; etc." dance over the phone and when that didn't work, drive the couple of hours to where he lives to rebuild the carburetor when I found this post.

He loosened the gas cap and Voila!, the mower started right up. Now all I have to do is figure out how to clean the cap (without being able to see the thing). I also plan on scheduling a carburetor rebuild during one of my visits to he and his crew.

Thanks so much for posting this!

Thanks Rob....oddly enough, before we attempted the carb, he was told to check the gas cap on the tank and clean the holes....hard for me to believe, but they were clogged and its worked fine since...go figure