scag won't start no fire

daveyk

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hello,
My 6 yr old Scag tiger cub with 24hp Briggs engine won't start. Replaced battery, solenoid,relay switch, fuses. I'm stumped. Any help will be appreciated. I also jumped solenoid it just turns over and won't fire.
Thanks,
Daveyk

mullins87

Threads
Is it getting fuel and spark? What about a clogged air filter? It has to have all three of those to run. Begin by pulling the air filter to make sure it's getting air. Next pull a plug to check if they are getting a spark. Then make sure the engine is getting fuel through the carb. At this point, your problem could be anything.

BTW: Make absolutely sure you have everything disengaged and all safety switches are working. Accidentally leaving the blades engaged or a bad safety switch will cause these symptoms.

Raw Dodge

Threads
In addition to the above,when your jumping the solenoid,you need to check for spark while its cranking...if you have spark,fuel and compression....only other things i can think of are the fuel solenoid at the carb doesnt have power,or some mice got in the muffler over the winter,and made a nest so tight that the exhaust is blocked and that can drive you nuts(dont ask me how I know this)....

bfcg

Threads
Check your hand brake and switch, chech the PTO switch and your seat switch.

daveyk

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hi,
Thanks for everyone's feedback. I got it started. I guess when I changed the solenoid, I missed a wire that I found unconnected in the boot. My bad!
Thanks again.
Daveyk

Mad Mackie

Lawn Addict
Threads
Where recent maintenance has been done is always the first to be checked. I both performed aircraft maintenance and taught aircraft maintenance in the military and I hammered this at my students on a regular basis. I would write exam and quiz questions purposely to make this point across to them. Needless to say if I was caught in this type of situation my students would hammer it back at me, but this was a rare occurance!!!
On many ZTRs, the seat switch is the first suspect as it affects several circuits particularly on machines that have electric clutches. I replaced mine last fall and it is now intermittent. I leave the seat in the up position all winter with a trickle charger on the battery. I keep new seat switches in my parts stash, but there ain't no seat switches in my stash right now!!! My bad!!! HaHa!!!:biggrin::laughing:
Mad Mackie in CT