Scag with Briggs ELS engine

B & K Service

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hi guys, I'm new to this, I own a small lawn care business, I recently inquired a Scag Tiger Cub 48 with the Briggs n Stratton ELS engine.
I've always had Kawasaki engines on my other equipment. I also have never had a Scag.
The scag I'm looking at has about 400 hrs on it and is real clean, one owner/operator.
Any thoughts or advice ?

Mad Mackie

Lawn Addict
Threads
Hi B & K Service
I have a 2008 Scag Tiger Cub 26 B&S ELS 48" deck/collection system, close to 400 hours. I do limited commercial mowing and have been for many years but until this machine always had high end rider GTs.
A few things that you should know;
Get the model and serial numbers, go to the scag web site, click on manuals, and download the manuals for your specific machine.
The B&S ELS engines are not the longest living engines but with good care will provide decent service. B&S ELS engines with the air filter cover with two screws verses four screws are prefered as the four screw models had air leaks between the air filter and the carb and can injest dusty air causing premature engine failure.
The blades are thru bolted from the bottom with a long bolt and the nut on the top. The machine must be raised up fairly high to get the blade bolts out of the spindles. They also need to be torqued.
The spindles take a different type grease than the rest of the machine.
There is a Scag section here on this forum and there has been more activity there lately.
Mad Mackie in CT:biggrin::laughing: