Scag Wildcat SWMC-61V 26HP LC, will not turn over

wfo427

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / Scag Wildcat SWMC-61V 26HP LC, will not turn over
Hello All,

I have a Scag Wildcat model SMWC-61V, 26hp LC, 6KAXS/675CB Kawasaki. It is a 2009 model with only 130 hours. The clutch started going bad and melted the PTO switch at around 110 hours; about one month after my warranty went out. It has been mowing great with the new clutch and switch. But 3 days ago I went to start it and the battery was down to the point it only buzzed the starter solenoid. I put the charger on for about 30 minutes and then tried it again, only this time the solenoid started making a hammering sound. I called it a dead/bad battery at this time and brought out the cables to jump it. It started right up and sounded good as always. I pulled the PTO switch and started mowing. After about 75 feet I had to maneuver around a gas meter, and while doing this it started sputtering. At first seemed a little like fuel but my guess was electrical.

Not wanting to push this beast in the grass, I raced to the carport, about 75 feet. It sputtered the whole way and died with front wheels on the concrete. I went straight to the battery store, came back feeling good that this one more thing I can check off my list of things to do, but it only goes downhill for me.

Now it痴 as if there is no battery, meaning that when you turn to the start position there is nothing. In the on position there is power to the temp gauge and PTO. I checked the new battery, it is good, and it will start other mowers. I got my manual out and started process of eliminating what I could. I have 12v to the key switch and all function of switch work. I have 12v to relay (terminal 87). I have 12v to starter solenoid stud via cable to battery. I have 12v to PTO switch and clutch. Both fuses are good.
I have checked all 4 safety switches with a meter and they all check ok, and they don稚 seem to have any bad spots in there range of movement. I checked the relay and it gave me an inconsistent reading at first and ok after that, but I changed it with a new one anyway, it checked ok with a meter and applying power to 85 & 86, open and closed 87/87a & 30.

I have jumped the starter solenoid it will engage and turn the engine over. I have not tried to start it in this manner because starting it is not a problem at this time, it痴 getting it to turn over/crank that is keeping me from moving forward. I have traced and checked the wiring so many times, I had to take a day off just to get my head clear just so I can do it over again.

The Interlock Module Plug (p/n 483029) just won稚 cough up what痴 needed from the (Green with Black Strip) wire to energize the relay so the 12v from the (Red and Yellow Strip) wire can get to the (Green with White Strip) wire. I have checked the misery diode and wherever it is, it is working. So my guess is that the Interlock Module Plug is bad. This is not a cheap item and I don稚 want to just throw this part at it and it not be the problem.

So my $400.00 question is, is there a way to bench test this item. I can稚 find any information on it and what its values and reading should be. I have found a few write ups with the same problem as I have, but they end without resolution to the problem.

Sorry for any misspelling.

Any help would help, and thanks for reading, Bill

wfo427

Forum Newbie
Threads
Well it痴 running as good as new now. And more importunely, I didn稚 have to load it up and watch $85.00 an hour start ticking away. From what I was told they would have charged me a minimum 2 hours labor and more than likely because things were slacking up in the service department it would have been 3 hours labor plus parts.

Seeing this through myself, I now understand the wiring fairly well. Not wanting to cause any more problems by shorting things out, I made fused jumpers, and fused switched bypass leads that worked well and will come in handy down the line on other issue.

The coast of happiness is the price of the defective part and a sore back.

Happy mowing to all