Scag Turf Tiger Left side Chattering - wheel motor?

bvad

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hey everyone, I just picked up a 2010/2011 Turf Tiger 61" with 35hp vanguard as an auction. They replaced the hydro before being sold. That didn't fix the problem so they figured it's a wheel motor and didn't want to put any more money into it. I was told before the auction that there was absolutely no steering. When I went to pick it up the guy said it would go on the trailer but with some chattering. And there was lots of chattering going on. I couldn't get it to make it up the ramp forward but did make it up backwards. The chattering happens in forward and reverse but not as loud in reverse. To me what could make sense of what it sounded like was a warn spined shaft/ gear maybe in the wheel motor? This only happens on the left drive side. Any ideas or anyone experience this before? Thanks for any help.

bvad

Forum Newbie
Threads
No not yet. I ended up buying a wheel motor and still the same noise. So I ordered another hydro and will be putting that in today. the sound itself sounds like its coming from the hydro but figured if it's brand new then it couldn't be that so figured next in line was the wheel motor. I don't know if it was installed wrong, air trapped in the system (tried to get it out), shavings from the old motor going into the pump. Figured just swap it out and hope that fixes it and then go dig into the old stuff and see if I can repair it for a spare. Hopefully this new hydro works

Dwellonroof

Threads
I had a similar problem here and have my parts, flushed the system with diesel fuel and will install new filter and oil tomorrow morning.

bvad

Forum Newbie
Threads
Before I did anything, I did a flush with no difference in improvement. Did the wheel motor because the hydro was freshly installed before buying it. That did nothing like I mentioned before. Today put the new hydro on and that solved the problem. Guessing maybe they tossed on the new hydro before without flushing the system and got metal shavings in the new hydro? Took a magnet at first and found metal shavings in the tank. At least its back up and running now. As for your problem....I hope the system flush and new filter/oil solves your problem.

Dwellonroof

Threads
I also replaced the left hydro pump.