Scag Tiger Cub Maint

tharrisn

Forum Newbie
Threads
We're the proud new owners of a Scag Tiger Cub that needs a little TLC. I've looked but cannot find torque specifications for the various fasteners. In particular I'd like to know what the wheel lug nuts should be torqued to.

Also I've download the Owners Manual and Parts List from the Scag website but cannot find a lubrication chart. I found the grease chart but nothing about lubrication for all the non-grease zerk sliding/pivoting parts.

Any tips or clues on these two issues is appreciated and thanks in advance.
--
T.

Mad Mackie

Lawn Addict
Threads
On the rear wheel lug nuts there is no torque spec, just tight with a 3/8" drive ratchet and socket. The blade nut torque is 75 FTLBs dry. The blade bolts are 9 1/2" long and pass up thru the spindle shaft. The lube chart is in the operators manual. The spindle bearing grease is different from the chassis grease, you can use spindle grease on the entire machine but not the other way around. Only the places that have a grease fitting are recommended to be lubed. The pulleys have sealed bearings , but some of us have special tools to allow them the be re-lubricated.
Mad Mackie in CT

tharrisn

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks for the info about the blade bolts.

Interestingly the previous owner had reversed the blade bolts so the nuts were on the blade side under the deck. Had a rough time getting them loose to replace the worn blades. When I replaced the blades I inserted the bolts up through the washer, blade, spacer, spindle and finally the pulley and installed the nut on top. Used anti-sieze and torqued them to 60 lb-ft.

Finding no torque values for the wheel lug nuts I torqued them to 45 lb-ft. That seemed tight enough but I admit I'm just guessing.

Mad Mackie

Lawn Addict
Threads
I can see where someone would install the blade bolts from the top as the machine has to be raised up in the front to allow the blade bolts to drop down and clear the spindles. I had to drill and split the R/H blade nut on my Tiger Cub as it wouldn't break loose with my 400 FTLB air impact tool. I installed thin aircraft type flat washers under each nut to prevent nut to spindle top galling.
The metal in the rear wheels is not as thick as automobile wheels and I have seen where someone used his impact wrench to tighten the lug nuts and damaged the wheels from overtightening
Mad Mackie in CT

Last edited: