SCAG Tiger - BS 24 Oil Seal Leak

rcp1847

Forum Newbie
Threads
Greetings:

I'm repairing a Scag Tigre with a B&S 24 motor. There seems to be a slight oil leak from the bottom of the motor around the crank shaft. It leaks down on the pully and clutch assembly and they tend to "sling" the oil outward as they rotate.

My question is simply this: Can I access, remove and replace the oil seal from underneath the motor or do I have to pull the motor out?

Comments and advice will be much appreciated. (PS - I'm doing this for a neighbor so the machine is new to me).

Thank you. ~ Bob Priester

Last edited:

Mad Mackie

Lawn Addict
Threads
I would remove the clutch and then the drive pulley and inspect. The oil may be coming from somewhere else and with the clutch and pulley removed you can make a better diagnosis. But you will need to remove the engine to replace the seal. Oil dripping onto the clutch and belts is not a good situation.
Mad Mackie in CT

motoman

Lawn Addict
Threads
I agree with Mackie mostly...IF (note cap) you decide it is the seal AND the seal is relatively cheap ... I had my Intek 24 apart, but it's been years...Before tearing motor apart it MAY be possible to sneak an auto seal puller up between the seal rubber and the protruding shaft??? With the finger nail type tip engage the metal body of the seal and slide hammer directly down. It would take a long (improvised) pipe or tube of perfect OD to seat the new seal. Please note this is nowhere as good as performing the repair on a bench, if possible at all.

Edit: Just now I relived the teardown and it occurred to mention a real risk in trying to go in with a seal puller...danger of scratching /nicking the journal area on which the seal seats. This would create a real leakage problem as even the new seal would leak. So it would seem the fingernail tip of the puller would have to be narrow, thin and SMOOTH.