Scag STC48A-19KA hydraulic pump o-rings

sfalco1957

Forum Newbie
Threads
There is a lot of oil leakage from both pumps on the top side. I have purchased new hose, and also the o-rings for the 4 fittings where the lo-pressure hoses attach. Looking at the parts diagram I also see an o-ring at the top (HG 9004101-1340) and another larger one where top head attaches to the lower housing (HG51232). Is it possible to replace those 2 o-rings without removing the pumps from the mower? If it is possible to remove the top head to get at that housing o-ring with the pump still on the mower it may be worth the trouble.

Honda Tech

Threads
I don't think it's possible, but even if it were, any dirt that gets into that pump will destroy it. Best to remove the pumps, clean the exterior thoroughly and disassemble and repair in a clean area.

sfalco1957

Forum Newbie
Threads
I figured that was the case, thanks. For now I will replace the hoses and o-rings for those fittings, and if it still leaks I can probably get through this season, and deal with pump rebuild later. The problem is the machine is at my in-laws, and we don't have a way to transport the thing to my house where I have all the tools to do this kind of stuff. I end up taking a lot of stuff with me to work on it, but there is always something I need that I did not bring. Worst case I when the season is over I will have to find a way to haul it to my house where I can have more time and resources to repair it. They are retired so I am trying to save them some money. Rebuilt pumps are expensive, and doing a rebuild is I assume quite a lot of labor charges, the overhaul kits seem cheap enough.

Honda Tech

Threads
You're correct. Most of it is labor. I wouldn't let it go to long if you can. If they are leaking fluid, then they can also suck air and air in the system can destroy a pump.

sfalco1957

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks, sound advice.. I will see how bad it is once all the hoses and the easy orings are changed. Original hoses on this 22 year old machine, for sure need replacement.

Mad Mackie

Lawn Addict
Threads
Tighten the hose clamps on the return hoses around the pump tops.

Luffydog

Threads
Yes you can replace the top o ring without removal