Scag or Bust?

steelers501

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hi everyone!

Having an impossible time picking a ZTR and I think I'm letting dealers get in my head, so input is greatly appreciated. I finally settled on an Ariens Ikon XD 52 or Gravely ZT X 52, but just got off the phone with a dealer who basically said that if I'm not going to buy a Scag Liberty or Freedom Z, I'm wasting my money.

He pointed to things like the blades, bearings, the deck, and other little things here and there. His overall point was that spending 7k on the Scag is going to be a better purchase than spending $3800-4200 on the Ariens/Gravely because it'll require less maintenance, last longer, and is a significantly better machine.

I have about an acre property and will only be mowing 25-35,000 square feet on a weekly basis. Definitely "rougher" terrain with tree roots and rocks, but I keep falling back to the point that I don't really need a 7k machine for a residential lot.

What do you think? Is he right or is he just trying to make a sale?

Thanks!

MParr

Lawn Addict
Threads
Don’t let that guy blow smoke up your butt. Compare all the models that you are interested in and then make your decision.
I would buy this Ariens unit before buying a Scag Liberty or Freedom Z. Why, the Ariens Apex is a beefier machine. It has a stronger frame that the Scag Liberty or Scag Freedom Z.
If you really like the Ikon XD or Gravely ZT X, compare the frame build vs. the Scag Liberty. You will see a difference.

Last edited:

steelers501

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thank you! That's why I was leaning towards the Ariens, as I read that the build quality is excellent (though they're not really in stock, so I started looking at the Gravely). After speaking with a few dealers, my new favorite line is "we don't even stock those because they're horrible machines". I've had a few places tell me that (one for Spartan, now one for Ariens/Gravely), with this specific one stating that any ZTR less than Scag is garbage. I will definitely look further into that machine, thank you!

MParr

Lawn Addict
Threads
Thank you! That's why I was leaning towards the Ariens, as I read that the build quality is excellent (though they're not really in stock, so I started looking at the Gravely). After speaking with a few dealers, my new favorite line is "we don't even stock those because they're horrible machines". I've had a few places tell me that (one for Spartan, now one for Ariens/Gravely), with this specific one stating that any ZTR less than Scag is garbage. I will definitely look further into that machine, thank you!
I looked at several mowers to replace a Toro Timecutter HD 54. They were the Scag Patriot, Gravely Pro Turn 160 and the Hustler X One. The Hustler and Gravely had more substantial frames that the Scag. With a rough yard, I knew that the Scag Patriot would just not hold up. I settled on the Gravely.
The rhetoric that the Scag salesman used would be a turnoff for me. Get to know your mower choices. Frame build. Deck build. Transmissions. Are the transmissions serviceable?

steelers501

Forum Newbie
Threads
If you go up to a Gravely ZT XL, you get Hydro-Gear ZT2800 transmissions. Those transmissions are serviceable. That means that you can change the fluid and filters. The ZT2800 are more reliable and should last longer than the EZT transmissions.
Thanks for the info! I'm not against going up to the ZT XL, I just need to find one in stock. I'm having a hard time finding anything in stock right now, but I would say that my budget is anything below 5k.

Lawn Addict
Threads
f you go up to a Gravely ZT XL, you get Hydro-Gear ZT2800 transmissions. Those transmissions are serviceable. That means that you can change the fluid and filters. The ZT2800 are more reliable and should last longer than the EZT transmissions.
My Liberty has the HG 2800's as well.. And great Dealer support w/5 Year warranty.. But everyone has their own picks..