Scag 48 clutch keeps disengaging

wanderzz

Forum Newbie
Threads
My Scag 48 started having problems with the clutch disengaging while cutting this summer. I replaced the clutch, key switch, clutch engagement switch, the regulator rectifier and cleaned all terminals. The problem went away for the rest of the season but has come back.

Where else I can look. I bought a multimeter but am unsure amps and voltages need to be where.

Thanks.

BlazNT

Lawn Pro
Threads
WOT at battery needs to be 13v + if you do not have that then let us know. PTO works off the stator.

wanderzz

Forum Newbie
Threads
This Scag is pull start so it does not have a battery.

BlazNT

Lawn Pro
Threads
Model number and serial number so I can look at exactly what you have.

wanderzz

Forum Newbie
Threads
Engine:
Kohler: CV15T
Serial: 3318805671

Scag:
Model: SWZ48A 17KA
Serial: 5170277

BlazNT

Lawn Pro
Threads
What a pain to look up. So your engine has a stator. It has to for electric PTO to work. Test at PTO plug for voltage when PTO is on. Please plug everything in before you start the engine so you can read voltage without cutting something off. Read voltage. 13.3 v or higher at WOT with PTO on.

BlazNT

Lawn Pro
Threads
How long have you owned this?

Mad Mackie

Lawn Addict
Threads
Even though there is no battery on your machine, there will still be a ground wire for the clutch which may be installed on one of the engine mounting bolts. Sometimes these terminals get broken and or corroded.

wanderzz

Forum Newbie
Threads
I've owned it for about 10 years.

There is a ground wire connected to the top of the motor. Will check that.

wanderzz

Forum Newbie
Threads
Well - happy ending. The connector to the regulator rectifier fell off the prongs. Plugged it back in and all is well. Glad that was it. :laughing: I was going to go nuts.

Thanks for the help everyone!