Scag 36 walk behind PTO problem

Bird Palas

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have a Scag 36 walk behind mover about 15 years old. It has a Kohler Command Pro 15 hp motor with not battery. The mower get's light use of mowing about one acre of grass about 5 time a year. The mower is in great condition. Recently the mower deck would quit and not react to the pto switch after 30 minutes of mowing. After the mower cooled down, the pto switch activated the mower deck for about 10 more minutes of mowing and then the mower deck would quit with the switch not activating the deck. I installed a replacement 10 amp PTO switch but that did not activate the mower deck. I then replaced the PTO clutch with a new Orgera OEM clutch but still no activation of the mower deck. Any thoughts? The electic clutch needs electric power to activate. Where is the electric power generated and how can I get it to travel to the switch and then to the PTO clutch. Electric stuff is a challange for me. Thanks,

Bird Palas

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have the original owner's manual and parts list but replacing the PTO switch and the Orgera clutch seem to be the only plug and play parts. I suspect it may be a wiring issue but I have jiggled all the connections but still not go.

mechanic mark

Lawn Pro
Threads
Did you check the Air Gap on new PTO Clutch before installing. I believe it should be .012 - .015 at three windows in clutch.
Click above & scroll down page for your engines Service Manual.

Last edited:

Bird Palas

Forum Newbie
Threads
I had a bud that is a mower repair guy and with a ohm meter we went thru all the circuits and found a bad electric connection. It was a good educational moment for sure. We clean it up and all is cool. PTO switch activated the mower deck. thanks for the input. Now let's go