S130 missing grease zerks

CajunMan89

Threads
I just purchased an S130 and noticed that the front wheels are missing the grease zerks. I called my local dealer and he said that they should be there, so I have no idea what could have happened for the machine to have been assembled with front wheels not having the fittings.

My dealer suggested just removing the dust cap and adding grease.

Has anyone had an experience like this with a new ride mower before?IMG_20240710_103405184~2.jpg

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Threads
It depends on if the rims are using bushings or sealed flange wheel bearings. Both options are shown on the IPL. Since the zerks are not there suggests that the flange bearing are used. So zerk is needed for sealed bearings.
1720680663902.png

Tiger Small Engine

Threads
I just purchased an S130 and noticed that the front wheels are missing the grease zerks. I called my local dealer and he said that they should be there, so I have no idea what could have happened for the machine to have been assembled with front wheels not having the fittings.

My dealer suggested just removing the dust cap and adding grease.

Has anyone had an experience like this with a new ride mower before?View attachment 69176
Many mowers have sealed bearings that have no zerk fittings. Whether it is on the spindles or wheel hubs. You can always drill and tap and add a fitting.

MParr

Lawn Addict
Threads
If both bearings are sealed, a grease fitting and adding grease isn’t going to have any benefit.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Threads
If both bearings are sealed, a grease fitting and adding grease isn’t going to have any benefit.
As MParr say the sealed bearing will not accept additional grease. The lips on the rubber seals just seal tighter as you attempt to add grease under pressure. I have personally verified this using a bearing packer and the seals just got crushed into the bearing jamming the bearing. Now the bearing with metal shields will accept grease but they can only done very slowly. Basically the rubber coated seals function the same as oil seals except they are single lip seals allowing pressure out where most oil seals are the other way around allowing pressure in but not out.

CajunMan89

Threads
It depends on if the rims are using bushings or sealed flange wheel bearings. Both options are shown on the IPL. Since the zerks are not there suggests that the flange bearing are used. So zerk is needed for sealed bearings.
View attachment 69177
Out of curiosity I looked at the same model at my local Lowe's, and it had the zerk fittings. Is it a common practice for the same model mower to be assembled with different parts?

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Threads
It depends the timing of the assembly, as assembly is made from different batches of parts so depending when the mower was assembled it can have different parts. Covid mess things considerably too and is still messing things up.

Part availability is a determining factor too. I currently have several parts on back order that have been now for 60+ days. If I could I would use an alternate but those parts I got ordered there is no alternate. I have no idea what going with OEMs on those parts.

In your case I would removed the dust cover and see as to which was used at the time of assembly. This way you would know sure if a zerk needs to be added or not.

CajunMan89

Threads
It depends the timing of the assembly, as assembly is made from different batches of parts so depending when the mower was assembled it can have different parts. Covid mess things considerably too and is still messing things up.

Part availability is a determining factor too. I currently have several parts on back order that have been now for 60+ days. If I could I would use an alternate but those parts I got ordered there is no alternate. I have no idea what going with OEMs on those parts.

In your case I would removed the dust cover and see as to which was used at the time of assembly. This way you would know sure if a zerk needs to be added or not.
Thank you so much! I'll post an update with what I find.