S100 quit running

wrenchammer

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hello all,
My S100 lawn tractor engine with 75 hours came to an immediate, dead stop while mowing and it gave off a faint burnt electronic smell. It turns over just fine but seems to have no spark, so I installed a new Chinese coil from Amazon and a new plug, still no spark. Checked all the safety switches and they seem to function properly. Any ideas to keep me out of the expensive, always backed up local repair shop would be appreciated. Thanks

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Threads
First make sure you turn off the PTO (disengaged). Second you can starting with the coil's kill wire disconnected. Also make the seat switch connector is fully plugged in as they contain a shorting strip that kills the ignition if loose or unplugged.

I do suspect the fuel solenoid on the carb shorted out as I have been seeing quite few burned this year for some reason on various mowers.

1724508302012.png

wrenchammer

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thank you,
So, if it starts with coil kill switch wire disconnected, what is the problem/fix?
A bad fuel solenoid on the carb will kill the spark?
Thanks again. Got grass to mow....

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Threads
No the fuel solenoid only fuel entering the main circuit of the carburetor thus is to prevent after fire boom in the exhaust as you shut the engine down. They do go bad and prevent fuel from reaching the intake.

wrenchammer

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks,
Can you please help me identify what could be the cause of the lack of spark? As stated before, the engine shut down immediately while mowing and there was a faint burning smell, like a relay or something had failed. The coil and spark plug have been replaced, the 20 amp fuse is good, and all of the safety switches seem to be intact/functioning. There is fuel in the filter. What else can I check/replace?
Thanks again.