Ryobi ZTR Mower - isA Bust - Final Report

Heretik

Threads
Apparently HomeDepot feels the same. Ryobi ZTR Mowers are nowhere near what they're cracked up to be; if MSRP is a measurement. OMG, the price of replacement batteries :eek:
HomeDepot is putting them on Flash Sale -- Found a 54" on the lot for &999.99 down from $6k; but, alas already sold to Steve (probably a store employee waiting for his next paycheck). Today RyobiTools.com is seeing the exit sign as well across the entire line; $3,499.00 was $5,999.00 for a 54" ZTR. Saw a 30" ZTR for < $800; but again, another store employee (supposition) had his name tagged on it. I'd have given to my Daughter, in which two people would have been happy with smiles from ear to ear.
Now hear something of wonderment; I mentioned the Original MSRP for the 54" ZTR for $6K but oddly the 42" ZTR is listed at RyobiTools. com is $3,999.00 down from original $5,999.00.
The 54" has a manufactured decks, while 42 and 30" have crap stamped deck. My previous gasser 42" ZTR with manufactured deck wouldn't have suffered the damage my Ryobi 42" with stamped deck.
I've driven (mowed) my Ryobi 42" ZTR for > 90 days now and I won't recommend them. The iDrive steering is dangerous, IMHO. The "Lap Bar" steering , two handed steering, is much much more enjoyable. I once truly looked forward to mowing the lawn; now it's back to being a chore. Which reminds me, don't by a gas powered ZTR with the Kawasaki FR651 and I'd be leery of any of FR series engines. An integral cam shaft compression release mechanism can go T.U. sooner than later.

I've a total of 1/2 acre of turf with so many obstacles to maneuver around it takes 15% of battery power and 45 minutes with the iDrive Ryobi. My now broke down, engine damaged, gasser mower would do it in 25 minutes with a smile.

Cost of Batteries is a real eye-opener, and a shock perhaps. Given the Trillions$ spent on raping and plundering Afghanistan of their heroin supply and lithium deposits. Yes I understand, wars are waged for profiteering. At least the the previous war ending in defeat brought abought the availability plenty of ARs, today [I'm partial to 7.62x39]; and slowly, now 60 years later, legalization of pot is spreading. Remember the day when Coca Cola was "The Real Thing".
Should you decide to go electric, look for Ryobi ZTR with Lap Bar steering. They may be of the last generation but I expect a return. Batteries should be treated in a manner to attain maximum longevity. Run them down to ~ 15% before recharging. No, they don't suffer memory problem, but they do have a numbered charge cycle life expectancy. I think that's a heat issue; which can be improved upon by recharging in your air conditioned Bentley storage barn. In all brand considerations, choose one with onboard battery charging, as well. Jerking them thar batteries out every time to recharge will be a PITA.

The X-Cut (crosscut) blades are both great and not so much so. A lawn, a week or 10 days, past being due for a cut really looks good when mulched with X-Cut system; but, they don't stand up to red house bricks. Them blades are thin. < The Point.
My Raptor ZTR, with Lap Bar steering, when it was alive, would shatter a house brick into pieces, without hardly a pause. I likened it to a bush hog. The brick had worked it's way above ground from a long buried and forgotten fire pit.
Fortunately, RyobiTools.com sells replacement blades and adapters reasonable. Buy the individual blades rather than sets. The aluminum alloy blade adapter is an engineered weak point. Also priced reasonable.

Bottom line - Ryobi ZTR iDrive Mowers are a Safety Hazard. I'm told this sort of steering, iDrive joystick, has been adopted by the heavy equipment industry; I expect a rise in safety incidents, and deaths; if this be true. That iDrive joystick steering requires gingerly moving about amongst your prized roses or near the Bentley or your tomatoes and Yugo. Did you know the Yugo is considered, in the automotive industry, the worst vehicle ever built.

Cheers and a round of Dark Ale for every one.😍

Last edited:

bkeller500

Threads
thanks for your review......I was leaning but now more cautious. I need to do more homework now.

Tiger Small Engine

Threads
Apparently HomeDepot feels the same. Ryobi ZTR Mowers are nowhere near what they're cracked up to be; if MSRP is a measurement. OMG, the price of replacement batteries :eek:
HomeDepot is putting them on Flash Sale -- Found a 54" on the lot for &999.99 down from $6k; but, alas already sold to Steve (probably a store employee waiting for his next paycheck). Today RyobiTools.com is seeing the exit sign as well across the entire line; $3,499.00 was $5,999.00 for a 54" ZTR. Saw a 30" ZTR for < $800; but again, another store employee (supposition) had his name tagged on it. I'd have given to my Daughter, in which two people would have been happy with smiles from ear to ear.
Now hear something of wonderment; I mentioned the Original MSRP for the 54" ZTR for $6K but oddly the 42" ZTR is listed at RyobiTools. com is $3,999.00 down from original $5,999.00.
The 54" has a manufactured decks, while 42 and 30" have crap stamped deck. My previous gasser 42" ZTR with manufactured deck wouldn't have suffered the damage my Ryobi 42" with stamped deck.
I've driven (mowed) my Ryobi 42" ZTR for > 90 days now and I won't recommend them. The iDrive steering is dangerous, IMHO. The "Lap Bar" steering , two handed steering, is much much more enjoyable. I once truly looked forward to mowing the lawn; now it's back to being a chore. Which reminds me, don't by a gas powered ZTR with the Kawasaki FR651 and I'd be leery of any of FR series engines. An integral cam shaft compression release mechanism can go T.U. sooner than later.

I've a total of 1/2 acre of turf with so many obstacles to maneuver around it takes 15% of battery power and 45 minutes with the iDrive Ryobi. My now broke down, engine damaged, gasser mower would do it in 25 minutes with a smile.

Cost of Batteries is a real eye-opener, and a shock perhaps. Given the Trillions$ spent on raping and plundering Afghanistan of their heroin supply and lithium deposits. Yes I understand, wars are waged for profiteering. At least the the previous war ending in defeat brought abought the availability plenty of ARs, today [I'm partial to 7.62x39]; and slowly, now 60 years later, legalization of pot is spreading. Remember the day when Coca Cola was "The Real Thing".
Should you decide to go electric, look for Ryobi ZTR with Lap Bar steering. They may be of the last generation but I expect a return. Batteries should be treated in a manner to attain maximum longevity. Run them down to ~ 15% before recharging. No, they don't suffer memory problem, but they do have a numbered charge cycle life expectancy. I think that's a heat issue; which can be improved upon by recharging in your air conditioned Bentley storage barn. In all brand considerations, choose one with onboard battery charging, as well. Jerking them thar batteries out every time to recharge will be a PITA.

The X-Cut (crosscut) blades are both great and not so much so. A lawn, a week or 10 days, past being due for a cut really looks good when mulched with X-Cut system; but, they don't stand up to red house bricks. Them blades are thin. < The Point.
My Raptor ZTR, with Lap Bar steering, when it was alive, would shatter a house brick into pieces, without hardly a pause. I likened it to a bush hog. The brick had worked it's way above ground from a long buried and forgotten fire pit.
Fortunately, RyobiTools.com sells replacement blades and adapters reasonable. Buy the individual blades rather than sets. The aluminum alloy blade adapter is an engineered weak point. Also priced reasonable.

Bottom line - Ryobi ZTR iDrive Mowers are a Safety Hazard. I'm told this sort of steering, iDrive joystick, has been adopted by the heavy equipment industry; I expect a rise in safety incidents, and deaths; if this be true. That iDrive joystick steering requires gingerly moving about amongst your prized roses or near the Bentley or your tomatoes and Yugo. Did you know the Yugo is considered, in the automotive industry, the worst vehicle ever built.

Cheers and a round of Dark Ale for every one.😍
The Kawasaki FR series engine is a good strong residential engine. Certain Briggs and Stratton engines are occasionally prone to compression release problems/failure. Never seen any problems in general with compression release mechanisms on any Kawasaki engines.

As far as Ryobi tools, handheld equipment, mowers, gas or electric is concerned, I would say they are “OK”. Personally, I would not and have not bought anything Ryobi. I also do not work on Ryobi equipment, by choice. Some of those cheap battery zero turn mowers come with lead acid batteries and are not meant to be consistently drained below 50%. My neighbor has one and has had problems with it. Make sure you check what type of batteries are in it before buying. Then check out how much replacement batteries will cost when they die.