Ryobi Z42Li joystick too stiff

prangster

Threads
Walked into a deal on Ryobi's electric rider. Sketchy reputation but I couldn't resist. The joystick is very stiff for an old timer with arthritis like me. Anyone have experience in loosening the mechanical linkage? Also, while I'm moaning, why is delay built into the control? Makes it quite difficult to be precise when maneuvering. Also (!) using the controller for braking is ineffective and dangerous. If the brake pedal is used the mower cuts off and the start up procedure must be repeated. I can live with all this but the joy stick is a problem. Any ideas? I believe this mower was a demo and likely spent a good deal of time out in the weather.
Thanks!

Lawn Pro
Threads
Look at the stick pivot points, maybe if they have a bolt there, it is too tight, or give a spray of some lube there,

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Could you at least post the model number from the serial number tag. I kinda like to an IPL of what you have there, Kinda sounds like a battery power unit that I need to start researching before they start showing in my shop. Info is probably very limited but still have to to find it.

Hammermechanicman

Lawn Addict
Threads
"Kinda sounds like a battery power unit that I need to start researching before they start showing in my shop."

I solved that problem in my shop. I don't take in any electric mowers. Every piece of equipment i have taken in has needed parts i can't get. I've spent so much unpaid time searching for ipl's and then parts i can't get i have had enough of them.

Tiger Small Engine

Threads
"Kinda sounds like a battery power unit that I need to start researching before they start showing in my shop."

I solved that problem in my shop. I don't take in any electric mowers. Every piece of equipment i have taken in has needed parts i can't get. I've spent so much unpaid time searching for ipl's and then parts i can't get i have had enough of them.
I don’t take battery powered outdoor power equipment period.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Threads
All battery powered products manufactures are doing a very good job at discouraging their customers ever buying another piece of their equipment by not providing service parts at reasonable prices to us techs that are willing to learn new things.

It is the same with any industry. What would have happen if the first home computers or electronic calculators were not serviceable? We would still be using old rotary mechanical calculators and old mechanical typewriters. Without computers we would still be doing everything, paperwork wise; by pen, paper, and lots of storage cabinets that they save us now. The point here is someone had to be willing to learn how to repair them.

Yes the learning curve is going be a major problem at first but so was electronic fuel injection. I remember when it first came out no one knew how to work on it including many of vehicle dealer mechanics.

And getting the OEM to provide parts is also a major problem as they have no idea what is going be needed. And of course the Chinese like to make things and then destroy all the tooling so they can make a newer product.

And right it is getting hard to get even get parts for the current fuel powered equipment that is only a year old.

Tiger Small Engine

Threads
All battery powered products manufactures are doing a very good job at discouraging their customers ever buying another piece of their equipment by not providing service parts at reasonable prices to us techs that are willing to learn new things.

It is the same with any industry. What would have happen if the first home computers or electronic calculators were not serviceable? We would still be using old rotary mechanical calculators and old mechanical typewriters. Without computers we would still be doing everything, paperwork wise; by pen, paper, and lots of storage cabinets that they save us now. The point here is someone had to be willing to learn how to repair them.

Yes the learning curve is going be a major problem at first but so was electronic fuel injection. I remember when it first came out no one knew how to work on it including many of vehicle dealer mechanics.

And getting the OEM to provide parts is also a major problem as they have no idea what is going be needed. And of course the Chinese like to make things and then destroy all the tooling so they can make a newer product.

And right it is getting hard to get even get parts for the current fuel powered equipment that is only a year old.
Unless it is a brand such as Stihl or Husqvarna that a dealer sells and services (battery equipment), the parts availability is only half the issue. The other half is finding a shop that will work on it. The green movement isn’t so green as it first appears when it gets thrown in the trash when it breaks. Me not working on battery equipment has NOTHING to do with not wanting to learn. I love learning and learn every day.

Hammermechanicman

Lawn Addict
Threads
Yeah fixing them isn't the issue. Give me a schematic and a parts list and i can fix most things. Did that for 40 years. Nothing special about the technology. Right now my favorite engine to work on is Chondas. I can get most any part now cheap. Just put a new complete chonda cylinder head on a Honda for $40. Bolted up and ran perfect. Can't get a switch for an electric chainsaw. Electric may be convenient but it sure as hell ain't green.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Now this where the problem is. The OEMs are just keeping everything secret which definitely is the main problem working on the equipment. And as said they claim it is a green technology but if you are sending things to the landfills after they need a simple part then it not what they claim.

It is like when the electronics companies started going SMT from discrete components. Their idea it is better to replace a complete circuit board and send the old one to landfill.

Tiger Small Engine

Threads
Now this where the problem is. The OEMs are just keeping everything secret which definitely is the main problem working on the equipment. And as said they claim it is a green technology but if you are sending things to the landfills after they need a simple part then it not what they claim.

It is like when the electronics companies started going SMT from discrete components. Their idea it is better to replace a complete circuit board and send the old one to landfill.
The OEM battery equipment companies such as Ryobi want you to buy another Ryobi when you can’t get the part and it breaks. The irony of going green and then having to chuck it in the garbage is yet one more reason I don’t mess with battery equipment.