Running Rich

twernicke

Threads
Hey guys, I have a Kawasaki FR651V that seems to be running rich after installing a new carb last fall. The plugs show carbon build up after only about 25 hours of run time.

Last weekend I adjusted the valve lash, did an oil change and replaced the plugs. I’m assuming that I need to adjust the air/fuel ratio but I’m finding mixed info on how to do this. Anyone have a good procedure to follow?
IMG_5106.jpeg

Thanks!

Tim

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
Looks like oil to me. Threads are covered in oil as well. Look in the thread valleys.

How much is the oil over filled? Dump out a few gallons and check oil on flat ground.

You know on a Kawi, you park the stick on top of the threads and check oil level. Don't screw it in then check the level.

That plug gasket looks compromised. See that area on the very top center of the plug? Like the gasket is deformed?

Bertrrr

Threads
Not sure there is any air / fuel ration adjustment but I agree with Slomo assessment, be sure your air cleaner is clean also. Running rich will not give you blue smoke in my opinion, running rich will not run well at all and will be struggling to keep at idle too.

txmowman

Threads
Today’s carburetors are not adjustable for fuel mixture (EPA regs). Possibly the wrong carburetor, i.e., aftermarket. Dirty carburetor or choke not adjusted properly.
Running rich will make the spark plugs appear to be sooty. The soot is unburned fuel.

MParr

Lawn Addict
Threads
That looks like oil. Carbon fouling will appear dry.