Riding Mower won't start

sfmccormick

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hoping someone can give me an idea of what the problem is.

Mowed yard a week ago without any problems. Before starting this week, saw tank was empty and filled with gas. Tried to start, but wouldn't turn over. Didn't think I had left key on, but possible. Less than year old battery. Charged battery. She cranked up for a few seconds with black smoke and then died. Would still crank, but not start. Let it sit a day and tried again; same result, ran rough for a few seconds with black smoke and died. Still cranks, but won't start.

Pulled spark plug. Plug was wet with fuel. Doesn't appear to be fouled. Spark appears strong when plug grounded and engine cranked. Pulled bowl on carb. Fuel inside is clean; no debris or rust.

Mower is a TSC Huskee Supreme SLT 4200, Model 13AJ795G730 (2006?). Manuals indicate it is an MTD Model 795. Engine is a Briggs & Stratton Intek 18.5 HP OHV, Model 31P777 0602E1 0512207D.

Any advice would be appreciated.

SeniorCitizen

Lawn Addict
Threads
Air fuel mixture may be way too rich. A real possibility the float in the carburetor isn't controlling fuel level correctly. Better check the oil level for gasoline contamination too before you start it again.

sfmccormick

Forum Newbie
Threads
Went out this morning to see if I could figure if the carb float was the problem. Checked the oil and no gas contamination was found. Decided to try and start it before I tore into carb. It started as before, running rough and emitting black smoke, but it kept running. It seemed that at least some of that smoke was being forced back from muffler instead of going straight out. After about a minute and before I could examine the muffler more closely, she suddenly starts running normally, black smoke is gone and all is good with the world:laughing:. Could it be that the exhaust was somehow obstructed, perhaps by a dirt dobber nest or something? Don't know, but thanks for the reply. Gotta go mow...:thumbsup:

BRubble

Threads
Went out this morning to see if I could figure if the carb float was the problem. Checked the oil and no gas contamination was found. Decided to try and start it before I tore into carb. It started as before, running rough and emitting black smoke, but it kept running. It seemed that at least some of that smoke was being forced back from muffler instead of going straight out. After about a minute and before I could examine the muffler more closely, she suddenly starts running normally, black smoke is gone and all is good with the world:laughing:. Could it be that the exhaust was somehow obstructed, perhaps by a dirt dobber nest or something? Don't know, but thanks for the reply. Gotta go mow...:thumbsup:

Good the MTD Fixed itself.. :)

Next time, or when you examine the Air Filter,, take a look at the Choke and work the Choke Cable to see if it may be Sticking in the Closed Position.