Return to neutral problems

disc42

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hi I'm new here and would like some help. I have a Gravely ZT1740 that I bought for a 100 bucks. It wasn't running when I bought it but I brought it back to life. Now when I a m mowing and release the steering handles it won't return to neutral unless you poll them back. I checked the return springs and they are fine. Wondering if the bushings in the steering weldment might need replacing. Any help would appreciated and how hard is it to replace them.

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
Most of the Gravely Z turns that I have worked on use steering dampers, and those don't tend to return to neutral without some effect or at least quickly. Without them the steering is so sensitive that it would feel jerky every time you hit a bump.

disc42

Forum Newbie
Threads
I replaced the dampers and still no return to neutral. I might add the left side reverse does return but not when you push it forward. The right side doesn't work either way.

disc42

Forum Newbie
Threads
Just inspected the steering weldment bushings and found no problems so I'm in agreement with ILENGINE. The dampers are the reason steering won't return to neutral. The springs aren't strong enough to pull the steering back on their own. Wonder why dampers aren't spring loaded to assist with that task. Oh well that's why I retired as a Machinist/Tool and DIe Maker instead of an Engineer.

gainestruk

Threads
I have a Gravley that won't return on its own, its been that way since new, I don't think you have a problem, I can get mine going the speed I want and turn loose of both handles it will gradually slow down but won't go to neutral, it's nice if you want to take a drink or scratch your nose and it doesn't stop.

disc42

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks for the info. Guess I'll stop fretting over it and move on.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
<deleted>

Last edited by a moderator: