Replacement Motor for Lawn Boy Insight

rips

Forum Newbie
Threads
I bought a lawnboy insight (toro) 6.5 HP tecumseh motor at home depot back in 2008. The motor ended up blowing in a month going thru 1 inch of dry grass. Took it back and after fighting with the clerk about how deep the grass was I cut, they gave me a new one, same model. This one did the same thing after a few months of VERY VERY light duty. It was begin to make an oscilating grinding sound and eventually kick out. Let it cool and it would start after 30 minutes.

On to last year. Just would not start one day. Replaced coil. Started after about 25 pulls. Loaded it with gas and found out the tank was split down the middle dumping gas all over our driveway.

I have had nothing but probs since i bought it. My last lawnboy lasted 20 years and cost me $50. This lasted, well never and cost me $450.

So I like the deck and catcher etc. and am thinking about putting a honda copy motor on it from harborfreight. 5.5 HP OHV Vertical Shaft Gas Engine

Anyone do this with a tecumseh motored mower? Bolt pattern shaft length same? Not sure what to expect but I just do not want to have to buy a new mower right now after my terrible lawnboy experience.

twall

Lawn Addict
Threads
I bought a lawnboy insight (toro) 6.5 HP tecumseh motor at home depot back in 2008. The motor ended up blowing in a month going thru 1 inch of dry grass. Took it back and after fighting with the clerk about how deep the grass was I cut, they gave me a new one, same model. This one did the same thing after a few months of VERY VERY light duty. It was begin to make an oscilating grinding sound and eventually kick out. Let it cool and it would start after 30 minutes.

On to last year. Just would not start one day. Replaced coil. Started after about 25 pulls. Loaded it with gas and found out the tank was split down the middle dumping gas all over our driveway.

I have had nothing but probs since i bought it. My last lawnboy lasted 20 years and cost me $50. This lasted, well never and cost me $450.

So I like the deck and catcher etc. and am thinking about putting a honda copy motor on it from harborfreight. 5.5 HP OHV Vertical Shaft Gas Engine

Anyone do this with a tecumseh motored mower? Bolt pattern shaft length same? Not sure what to expect but I just do not want to have to buy a new mower right now after my terrible lawnboy experience.

Sounds like you have a problem with Tecumseh, not LawnBoy......I agree. I hate them.

I have an old-fasioned LB with a 6.5 Tek on it, too. I have a Honda 5 horse I was thinking of using on it, but the bolt pattern doesn't look right. You may be able to mod the deck to get it to fit, though.

BTW, my Tek blows smoke like a chimney. I'll do a ring job on it, but that's it. If it's any more problems, I'll cut it loose.

rips

Forum Newbie
Threads
twall, does it look like the shaft lengths would match up? I am so mad as I have 4 lawnmowers in the corner of the yard and cant make a one from the lot work. Oh and no smoke, it just grinds and grinds even thru an length grass. Sad what that company has gone too and they will not even look at it without costing me something like $80

twall

Lawn Addict
Threads
twall, does it look like the shaft lengths would match up? I am so mad as I have 4 lawnmowers in the corner of the yard and cant make a one from the lot work. Oh and no smoke, it just grinds and grinds even thru an length grass. Sad what that company has gone too and they will not even look at it without costing me something like $80

Sorry to hear of your problem. The Honda I've got is on a power washer with a burned up pump. I can't see the shaft. The bolt pattern looks strange, tho.

Oh, and I misposted the HP. It's a 4.5 HP.

I'd think it would work. But, that's a lot of dough......for a Honda motor (I priced them too, for the heck of it). Do you really want to have that much tied up in a self-prop? I mean, I know where you're coming from.....you paid a lot for this thing. But, it's only gonna get worse. How bout a Briggs? THAT'LL bolt right up.......and they are cheaper than dirt used.

rips

Forum Newbie
Threads
I may end up doing that. I actually have a brand new briggs and strat from the inlaws. They bent the shaft the third time they used it but I may put the money into that one. I also have an older tecumseh from my grandfather that I may switch things up with. I just hate the idea of a frankenstein mower...though my grandfather would have been proud as he has the same lawboy i used to have (the weird wheel patterned two stroke version).

Have u seen briggs motors for sale anywhere tho? I only see them on cheapo lawnmowers around here.

$90 is not bad for a motor tho. I just have to go into to detroit to get it...always an adventure!

jeff

Threads
It is sad that Tecumse, which once upon a time made high quality engines allowed themselves to continue to let the quality slip right up to the end. Check with jackssmallengine.com they have good sales on replacement engines. Other than that, your briggs may work on the mower. The old lawnboys were very good mowers too, but the good old EPA took care of them.

Two-Stroke

Lawn Addict
Threads
It is sad that Tecumse, which once upon a time made high quality engines allowed themselves to continue to let the quality slip right up to the end. Check with jackssmallengine.com they have good sales on replacement engines. Other than that, your briggs may work on the mower. The old lawnboys were very good mowers too, but the good old EPA took care of them.

I agree except that a lot of the old two-stroke Lawn-Boys are still around and just need a little TLC to be useful mowers for a few more decades. :wink:

twall

Lawn Addict
Threads
Toro destroys every company it buys...I hate them. Just look at Wheel Horse. :frown: