Replacement blades

footballfan33

Threads
I ordered 2 new blades for a mulching deck but 1 didn’t fit due to the hole for the lug bolt being slightly off… stuff happens.
However I left the 1 new one on and re-installed one of the old dull ones. The crazy thing is when I mowed the first time with this setup, the new blade side left clumps of unmulched grass, while the dull one left virtually no clippings, yet still cut it to the proper length. How on earth could this occur?
I re-installed both, making sure they were put on correctly, and still no change. I did a side by side comparison of the blades, and to the naked eye they appear the same. The new one is also definitely sharper by touch.
Is the dull blade somehow kicking the grass clippings over to the other side?
My thought is, on my next mow, I will re-install the other dull blade and see if there is an improvement. Or if the replacement new blade comes in, put it on and see what happens.
This tractor has 25 hours on it and I bought the second set of blades so I wouldn’t have to wait to mow if they needed sharpening.

mechanic mark

Lawn Pro
Threads
Post your tractor make, model & serial numbers please, thanks, Mark
To answer your question possibly about grass clippings kicking to other side. I use a German made file to dress up/ sharpen my blades then use a nail with drop of oil on it to check blade for balance, I do wear gloves. Good idea to purchase a second set of blades to have on hand. I would use Walker OEM blades/ parts on your mower.
Watched video, very nice machine!

Last edited:

footballfan33

Threads
I agree ?. This isn’t my first rodeo. The new one came in and I will install/mow in a couple days.