Export thread

Replaced fuel filter now it sputters

R

RHamm

I replaced the fuel filter on my 20 plus year old mower and now it does not run as well. It seems to be sputtering a little at lower idle and i need to keep the choke pulled out a little. It ran great before i changed the fuel filter. I was doing some maintenance before giving the mower to my son.
Any suggestions. I did run the mower out of gas before i changed the filter.

cpurvis

cpurvis

Make sure you installed the filter with the flow in the correct direction.

Scrubcadet10

Scrubcadet10

2nd what cpurvis said, 99% of the time the solid end cap on the filter goes towards the Carburetor.

Richie F

Richie F

The only thing I see is the filter material does a better job the correct way vs when it's backwards.
Installed the wrong way will work but clog faster.

Mower King

Mower King

I replaced the fuel filter on my 20 plus year old mower and now it does not run as well. It seems to be sputtering a little at lower idle and i need to keep the choke pulled out a little. It ran great before i changed the fuel filter. I was doing some maintenance before giving the mower to my son.
Any suggestions. I did run the mower out of gas before i changed the filter.
Sometimes when you run a mower out of gas, whatever is in the bottom of the tank (water / dirt) gets sucked up in the carb, causing a problem.....sometimes!

R

RHamm

Make sure you installed the filter with the flow in the correct direction.
Yea I checked that before and after installation

K

keakar

Yea I checked that before and after installation
i bet you dislodged old film built up inside the hose when you were moving it around replacing the filter

i always try to move the hose as little as possible to avoid that but you need to pull the carb and take the bowl off to clear out the trash thats in there causing the miss

Richie F

Richie F

Do you have a plastic or metal gas tank ?
How bad did the ID (inside) of the hose look ?

tom3

tom3

That motor have a fuel pump? There are differences in filter materials and some don't work well on gravity feed systems.