Export thread

Replaced air vane spring. Now what

jborcheck

jborcheck

Ok my lawnboy was stalling after about 20 mins of cutting. But if I messed with the throttle it would stay alive. Did some pokin around and found the air vane spring was completely damaged. I just now replaced it and now it won't even start. What could be goin on

impalass

impalass

Ok my lawnboy was stalling after about 20 mins of cutting. But if I messed with the throttle it would stay alive. Did some pokin around and found the air vane spring was completely damaged. I just now replaced it and now it won't even start. What could be goin on

Did you put enough tension on the spring? Do you have the hex or round collar?

jborcheck

jborcheck

Yes I righted it. Tension is good. But I think I know my (new) problem now. I noticed a gas leak so I am assuming its not getting gas or flooding. It's flooding through the air filter. Well I found the float bowl needle on my garage floor. Now I have to figure out where it goes. Oh. It's hex

robinb66

robinb66

Yes I righted it. Tension is good. But I think I know my (new) problem now. I noticed a gas leak so I am assuming its not getting gas or flooding. It's flooding through the air filter. Well I found the float bowl needle on my garage floor. Now I have to figure out where it goes. Oh. It's hex

Ok i'm cornfused, if you were replacing the governer spring how'd you come about opening the bowl to allow the needle to fall out in the first place???:confused2:

impalass

impalass

Take off the bowl and put back the needle. With the hex collar when you reinstall the spring you have to rotate the collar half a turn counter clockwise. you have to lift the collar to be able to rotate it.

jborcheck

jborcheck

Ok i'm cornfused, if you were replacing the governer spring how'd you come about opening the bowl to allow the needle to fall out in the first place???:confused2:

Well I originally took apart everything to clean out of gunk. Then I noticed the spring

jborcheck

jborcheck

Take off the bowl and put back the needle. With the hex collar when you reinstall the spring you have to rotate the collar half a turn counter clockwise. you have to lift the collar to be able to rotate it.

I already have tightend the spring and the vane moves back and forth like it should. Is it possible this float bowl missing needle could be the reason behind the mower not starting? Is it getting flooded. Or is the gas not making the cycle that it should be?

L

lewb

I already have tightend the spring and the vane moves back and forth like it should. Is it possible this float bowl missing needle could be the reason behind the mower not starting? Is it getting flooded. Or is the gas not making the cycle that it should be?

I would replace float, needle and valve for about 12.00. Yes if its the needle is not seating and letting gas through and in your case is not installed it will flood motor even while running. Also the idle jet on the side of carb could be plugged or out of adjusment.

jborcheck

jborcheck

Alright well I will put the needle back in. Now that i know where its placed The float looks to be in pretty good shape. So hopefully this will solve my problem

jborcheck

jborcheck

Ok. Vane spring works. I was missing the float bowl needle. I put that back in. It starts. Ran for about 10 mins stalled. Is it possible I tighten the vane spring to tight causing too many rpm to stall it?

impalass

impalass

Ok. Vane spring works. I was missing the float bowl needle. I put that back in. It starts. Ran for about 10 mins stalled. Is it possible I tighten the vane spring to tight causing too many rpm to stall it?

Its seems that you have a fuel problem. Take the carb off then the fuel bowl cover and make sure that the needle valve and float are working good and are not binding.

jborcheck

jborcheck

Done that. All seems to be good. What about in the fuel line itself where it connects to the carb there's a thin mesh like tube that goes in there. Could that be the culprit?

impalass

impalass

Done that. All seems to be good. What about in the fuel line itself where it connects to the carb there's a thin mesh like tube that goes in there. Could that be the culprit?
Yes i had trouble with mine and i took it out and no more fuel problem. Try without the filter and before you put the filter back give it a very good cleaning.

jborcheck

jborcheck

I actually left it in and just adjusted the vane spring with less tension. It sounds better it seems to run better didn't stall. But I will just have to wait to cut grass again. I only ran it for about 15 min. Normally been stalling after 5

impalass

impalass

I actually left it in and just adjusted the vane spring with less tension. It sounds better it seems to run better didn't stall. But I will just have to wait to cut grass again. I only ran it for about 15 min. Normally been stalling after 5
Wait for your next post.

jborcheck

jborcheck

Well it stalled after about 20 min. I'm thinkin now towards fuel issue. It seemed when it started to stall and I would lean it forward it would keep goin. But if I leaned it back it would stall out

jborcheck

jborcheck

Well it stalled after about 20 min. I'm thinkin now towards fuel issue. It seemed when it started to stall and I would lean it forward it would keep goin. But if I leaned it back it would stall out

Bump. Thanks.

jborcheck

jborcheck

Anybody have any further thoughts? I really dot know what it could be. Unless I needed tension in the air vane spring. But the RPM sounded ok

impalass

impalass

Anybody have any further thoughts? I really dot know what it could be. Unless I needed tension in the air vane spring. But the RPM sounded ok

Try it without the fuel filter.

jborcheck

jborcheck

I already had the fuel filter out. Man this is getting frustrating haha.

impalass

impalass

I already had the fuel filter out. Man this is getting frustrating haha.
Have you checked the fuel cap vent hole and the screen at the fuel shut of valve also check the hole in the round piece of rubber when you take the valve apart. The rubber has 4 holes that you can select to use.

jborcheck

jborcheck

Alright. That will be my next step. Thanks for the help