Replaced 42" Deck corroded already

Cocoloco

Threads
Bought and installed new factory 42" deck to the Hustler 2 years ago, its already corroded and had to be welded!
The original deck lasted 9 years of abuse. Now the deck needs welding again

Last edited:

Mr. Mower

Threads
Exactly as MECHANIC MARK has stated......also clean the underside of the deck real good....by hand (use a wire brush, chisel, etc.) do not use water, pressure washer, etc. to remove any and all stuck dirt, grass, etc.....if not....leaving "dirt" on the underside of a mowers deck will really do some damage to the metal....if let there...over a period of time...you'll start to see a combination of rust and small holes appear on your deck and once that's set in....well don't be surprised when the entire deck get's "infected" with rust.....which we all know leads to deterioration of metal....yes over a long period of time dirt, if left stuck to metal, will do that.

Tbone0106

Threads
If you're using water to clean deck after mowing I'd stop.
What do you suggest? Gasoline? Lye soap?

Nobody is going to drop the deck off a mower in order to flip it and clean it with a toothbrush after every mowing. Many modern mower decks have a fitting for hooking up a garden hose and cleaning the underside using water and the splattering action of the blades. This method is far from perfect, but it's a helluva lot better than leaving wet green clumps of grass stuck on the bottom of the deck, which most definitely promotes rust. The water will drain and dry in hours; the wet green grass will be there until the next mowing.

The OP admits his abuse of the deck on his mower. Deck welding is usually required because mounting brackets have broken away, and that definitely indicates abuse.

Mr. Mower

Threads
Yes I guess that is one way of going about it but.....No it is not necessary to "drop the entire deck and flip it over" to gain access to the under side of it. You would need to raise the entire mower to gain access to the under side of the deck.....that is "IF" you are willing to do so...if not then don't know what else to tell you.

Get yourself something like this maybe?

I have had a few this year that had to use the air chisel to break through the built up grass under the deck. Twisted knot wire brush trying to clean the buildup off the blades prior to sharpening just polishes it to a nice gloss finish.
That is basically what I have had to do under my mower deck.

I have a Hustler Raptor Flip-Up that can flip up the entire deck to gain access to the under side of it to change blades, clean the under side of the deck, etc......believe me it makes life a bit easier.

I gave up on trying to prevent build up of grass, dirt, etc. from accumulating under the deck after each time that I mow the lawn (which is a little over an acre).

Since then, that is, after I am totally finished cutting the lawn I move the mower to a flat concrete spot, flip up the deck and.....you bet.....there are clots of a combination of grass and dirt all under the entire deck!

So what I have been doing is using a metal chisel and wire brushes to clean the entire underside of the mowers deck. Yes the process is a PITA having to do this each and every time after every mow but it has to get down.

You NEVER want to leave any clogged dirt and grass, etc. under the deck because once you do...over a period of time it hardens up and it really becomes difficult and hard to remove.

Just my $0.02......to each their own.

Last edited:

packy51

Threads
I have an SD Raptor that I bought in 2019. Before that I had a 1991 STHM '3 wheeler Scag'. For some reason the Scag never got sticking clumps of grass like the Hustler does. I could go a whole season before removing any grass clipings from the belt pulley area. The Hustler design seems to be a grass magnet and needs far more cleaning between mowings. I try not to let the grass get too long and also try to make sure the lawn is dry before cutting to help with the under deck clogging. This is hard to do with this wet summer. When it does clump, I use Rhino low rise car ramps and drive the front up onto them. This provides enough ground clearence to use a 5 inch putty knife to scrape the grass off. I use my leaf blower to blow grass of all the top areas of the mower, including the engine air filter. I will admit that this wet summer has made the deck clumping a real PITA. I thnk I will try spraying the deck with a dry film graphite spray like this video to hekp keep the grass from clumping.