Replace steering bushing in Ariens lawn tractor?

wcoloradokid

Forum Newbie
Threads
Should be a five minute job, however in my model 936083( about four years old) the old bushing won’t slide out became the top of the steering column is wider than the bushing ( and new one won’t slide on). Is this incompetent design flaw or am I missing something? My 42 inch is almost exactly like Hysquvarna brand.

wcoloradokid

Forum Newbie
Threads
Tring to replace steering bushing in my Ariens 936083 42 inch lawn tractor, problem is the top of the steering column is wider than the bushing. Easy enough to remove the old worn out bushing but how to get the new one on? The top of the steering column has a separate piece of threaded shaft that steering wheel screws into, have no idea how this piece is attached to column?

keakar

Threads
Tring to replace steering bushing in my Ariens 936083 42 inch lawn tractor, problem is the top of the steering column is wider than the bushing. Easy enough to remove the old worn out bushing but how to get the new one on? The top of the steering column has a separate piece of threaded shaft that steering wheel screws into, have no idea how this piece is attached to column?
that top end will come off the shaft, the little extension there converts from the splined steering shaft to an opposed D style shaft for the steering wheel gear to sit on. if its stuck on, adjust a crescent wrench to the shaft and then tap it with a hammer and it pops right off

i find the best tool to snap them back on is a 1" cheater pipe i have for those pesky over torqued blade bolts. one end has the same angled slant as the bushing that i cut into it so it slips right over the shaft so i can tap it down and it snaps right in with ease